Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Early Bird Programme-whats it like??

(9 Posts)
waitingforgodot Sun 02-Aug-09 19:44:05

Can you sign up to the programme with just an informal verbal dx or do you need an official dx?

eternalmother Sun 02-Aug-09 22:13:19

I am pretty sure you need a DX (written or verbal?) to attend but not to apply. We applied before we got the DX are starting in Sept but we do have it now. We didn't have a verbal one though, I guess that would be enough? Give them a call

sphil Sun 02-Aug-09 22:56:57

We had two people without official dx on our Earlybird Plus course.

Yurtgirl Sun 02-Aug-09 23:12:11

I have just finished an early bird plus course - they said it used to be that you had to have a dx, now it has changed no dx necessary

Widemouthfrog Mon 03-Aug-09 07:49:01

In our area, they insist on diagnosis - but if you have a verbal diagnosis then I am sure your paed would support you.

waitingforgodot Tue 04-Aug-09 16:18:18

Thanks everyone. Can you tell me a bit more about the Course itself?

daisysue2 Tue 04-Aug-09 16:28:15

They talk about methods to put in place for managing behaviour. It's very good for young children in fact the earlier you can get on the course the better as my DD was 8 when I went on it and I already had most of the stuff we talked about in place. It was good to talk to the other people but not of much practical use. They talk a lot about the iceberg ie the bad behaviour is the tip and you have to find out what is leading to this from what the underlying problems are. It is worth going on but not the answer to all your problems. If your child is in a mainstream school try and get a teacher or LSA to go with you as you can take another person with you. This is where the course is most useful as it does help those who have no idea at all about ASDs to find out more.

daisysue2 Tue 04-Aug-09 16:30:50

They talk about methods to put in place for managing behaviour. It's very good for young children in fact the earlier you can get on the course the better as my DD was 8 when I went on it and I already had most of the stuff we talked about in place. It was good to talk to the other people but not of much practical use. They talk a lot about the iceberg ie the bad behaviour is the tip and you have to find out what is leading to this from what the underlying problems are. It is worth going on but not the answer to all your problems. If your child is in a mainstream school try and get a teacher or LSA to go with you as you can take another person with you. This is where the course is most useful as it does help those who have no idea at all about ASDs to find out more.

waitingforgodot Tue 04-Aug-09 17:38:12

Thanks Daisysue. DS is only 3 so it may be worthwhile both DH and I going or me and my Mum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now