Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Very proud mummy moment (read this if you have a dyspraxic asd)

(12 Posts)
flyingmum Sat 01-Aug-09 11:15:41

Well I'm so proud I'm almost BURSTING! So forgive me if I shout this from the roof tops. Flying boy 1 (aged 14 dyspraxia, aspie, dyslexia, plus various processing stuff) passed his week long sailing course yesterday. Not only can he now sail a dinghy but he also went on the teenager course (which is the adult course but delivered in smaller chunks) and got on well with all the other teenagers and controlled his 'quirks' and didn't come across as the 'weirdy one' at all (I'm as proud of that as of the sailing!). He did, apparantly, struggle a bit with the theory but was 'very good' out on the water and didn't need any help. He was the only one over the last three days who didn't capsize at all. He's very proud of himself and wants to do level 2 now!

To top this, this morning He and flying boy 2 (diabetic) have just swum their mile and got their badge AND they did it in under an hour. I'm so proud for my eldest because up until two years ago he couldn't swim in a straight line. He's had lessons for the last three months and has done his 800 m and mile now in a two week time frame. Youngest one managed his diabetese and natural wish to race and get stroppy if he's being beaten with great maturity and did really really well to go this huge distance (he's a bit more of a racing snake - goes very quickly).

Guess this deserves lunch out.

jetcat32 Sat 01-Aug-09 12:09:57

well done to both flying boys grin

mysonben Sat 01-Aug-09 12:13:55

That's great, well done to your boys. smile

hereidrawtheline Sat 01-Aug-09 12:30:34

oh well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see how you are totally thrilled!! Your boys are clearly lovely and working very hard. Congratulations to both of them, and to you!

mimsum Sat 01-Aug-09 12:56:48

well done to your boys gives me hope for the future ....

mummysaurus Sat 01-Aug-09 15:03:08

thanks for sharing flyingmum. My ds is 3.6 and in process of diagnosis for dyspraxia (ticks all the boxes)plus has other ld's and it is lovely to hear that this doesn't necessarily mean they miss out on all the fun!
congrats to your boys

flyingmum Sat 01-Aug-09 15:48:58

mummysaurus (lovely name) I really recommend getting as much Occupational therapy as is humanly possible. It has made the world of difference to flying boy 1. I don't think he could have achieved either of these things without it. Oh - and in case they tell you they won't learn to ride a bike - nah - can do that one he taught himself aged 10 just kept falling off and getting back on till he could do it. Where there is a will . . .

Many thanks everyone. We are back from lunch and we are all STUFFED! Bets now being taken on how long it is going to take flying boy 1 (or Captain birdseye as we are now calling him) to ask 'what's for tea'. (I give it an hour).

Hassled Sat 01-Aug-09 15:58:39

That's amazing - no wonder you want to shout it from the rooftops. Sailing does require a great degree of co-ordination - he must have concentrated so hard.

My dyspraxic DS2 has come on fantastically well with his swimming, but we were lucky enough to find a group that taught small groups of children with co-ordination or learning difficulties. There were 4 children and 5 adults teaching them .
And he can ride a bike, like yours out of sheer bloody determination and a high pain threshold, but if he needs to signal or even break it all falls apart a bit!

Hassled Sat 01-Aug-09 15:59:39

brake, not break. Though bits of the bike have broken.

buy1get1free Sat 01-Aug-09 20:23:25

Your story has made my day .... they both sound like very determined & amazing young men. No wonder you are sooooo proud. "Captain Birdseye' is 'Mr Incredible' grin What a great mum you are !!

flyingmum Sat 01-Aug-09 21:28:47

Um don't know about the great mum bit Buy1get1free (feel very akin to your name grin) usually mega stressed shouting mum rule with a rod of iron rotweiler mum. I bit the bullet yesterday with flying boy 2 and told him about flying boy 1s special needs in fairly simplistic terms about how he finds lots of stuff much more difficult than other people do and for him to do things is really hard like sailing so we must be really pleased for him and not jealous because he's doing something that number 2 isnt (the sailing and also possibly pre empting 1 doing the mile and 2 not getting it due to a hypo or something). Any way he took it all on board and was lovely about it all. What's also really good is that DS1 let number 2 go on his computer in his room (its the best one in the house!) and go on his Harry Potter game. Also a major step forward.
Captain Birdseye has gone with Dad to see Harry Potter as a treat. DS2 decided it would give him bad dreams so is going to wait until it is out on DVD so he can hide behind the door during scary bits!

Sareyggs Sat 01-Aug-09 22:04:33

Thanks for your reply to my message and congratulations again to you and your clever boys smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now