Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Chanel 5 Now - The boy with the incredible brian

(65 Posts)
Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 21:01:00

no idea what this is like or whether you'd be interested but in case you didn't know its about a man with autism with mathematical kills (british rainman they said)

sorry might be cr@p

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 21:01:20

skill (not kills)

Janh Mon 23-May-05 21:01:58

did brian sneak in, twig, or did you mean him to be there?

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 21:02:32

no I meant him to be there .. can't ever type brain on here

Janh Mon 23-May-05 21:03:58

And Chanel 5 too?

Janh Mon 23-May-05 21:04:15

Twiglett Mon 23-May-05 21:05:04

no that's crap typing

what are you? the spelling police?

Janh Mon 23-May-05 21:06:13

No, I thought it was an in joke I'd missed out on!

Keeping you bumped up anyway, chuck.

Hausfrau Mon 23-May-05 21:07:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toothache Mon 23-May-05 21:15:24

>creeps in< Brian.... rofl.
>creeps out<

Fio2 Mon 23-May-05 21:15:33

brian, oh I have laughed soooo much you couldnt even imagine

dottee Mon 23-May-05 21:20:39

Just going to tell you all about it.

Amazing!

dottee Mon 23-May-05 21:21:16

BTW is the doctor with him (Simon Baron-Cohen) Ali G's brother?

Jayzmummy Mon 23-May-05 21:42:11

They are cousins.

Chocol8 Mon 23-May-05 22:09:18

I thought it was brilliant (channel 5???!!!). I could have done with seeing more of Kim Peak - the inspiration for Rainman, but never mind - he would warrant a programme on his own.

I thought it interesting that someone described autism as an "ability and disability".

Wow at him learning Icelandic in a week!

Pruni Mon 23-May-05 22:24:09

Message withdrawn

aloha Mon 23-May-05 22:25:55

Amazing, amazing, amazing programme. My jaw is still on the floor.
Lovely quote from the "Rainman' guy - 'you don't have to be disabled to be different. We are all different."
I liked it particularly because, without wanting to sound arrogant or anything, the main man reminded me of ds. I've been - quietly - worried about ds because he has developed an absolute passion/obsession for numbers. He sits in bed 'reading' the numbers at the bottom of each page of his books, sees numbers everywhere, can count to a thousand, can count in French, is obsessed with things like odd and even numbers and I don't really like it - it's alien to me, and combined with his dyspraxia and tendency to be a loner, it's been freaking me out. This man seems really lovely, even if he is good at maths!

beccaboo Mon 23-May-05 22:29:11

I only saw the last 5 minutes, about him learning Icelandic, but I must admit I thought the 'rainman' tag only applied to his genius skills and not an autism label - he seemed fine? Maybe other parts of the programme were more revealing, can anyone fill me in? Does he have Aspergers?

Brobb Mon 23-May-05 22:29:36

The first part where he remembered pye to 22,000 decimal places was unbelievable!!!!! It blew me away, took him something like 4hours to recite it and never made a mistake. I bet the people checking the numbers off were more nervous of making a mistake than he was! Absolutely facinating program, I was glued. How does it go.....3.141592............i forget the rest!!

Brobb Mon 23-May-05 22:30:28

Sorry...programme

Brobb Mon 23-May-05 22:35:58

I was also amazed how "normal" he seemed to act. He didn't seem uneasy with interaction with others, especially strangers, and it was so special to actually get an insight into how he saw his thoughts....if you can follow what I mean, it just made my day.... big up to channel 5...for once!!!

beccaboo Mon 23-May-05 22:39:50

Brobb, did he talk at all about things he found difficult?

Chocol8 Mon 23-May-05 22:43:37

Beccaboo - yes he was dx as Aspergers some years ago. There was an article in the paper about him the other day.

Brobb Mon 23-May-05 22:48:44

He wasn't happy around crowds and flashing lights, which was amazing when he went to Las Vegas.....I mean....you can't get more crowded and flashy!!! I also liked the little bit where he said that he was so different at school that the bullies left him alone 'cos they didn't know what to make of him.....so they couldn't make fun of him!

aloha Mon 23-May-05 22:50:00

What was his name? I'd love to google him. Or can anyone do a link to the article.
Did the programme say what he does now or anything about his life?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now