Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ballet and DS

(17 Posts)
tamum Mon 23-May-05 20:26:33

I don't think this is necessarily worth a thread of it's own, but I can't see anywhere else to put it, so here goes! I was at dd's ballet show rehearsal yesterday, and there were two girls with DS appearing. One was a little girl doing very well in ballet, but the other was about 10 or 11, and she was just brilliant. Her class were doing several complicated routines, jazz and tap and ballet, and she was really the best on the class. Graceful, coordinated, and spot on with the timing of all these complex moves.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising, I'm just well aware of the sruggle a lot of DS children have with mobility, not to mention learning complex routines, so I just wanted to honour these girls a bit

tamum Mon 23-May-05 20:31:24

(Can I just apologise for the rogue apostrophe in the first line, that will teach me not to preview)

Fio2 Mon 23-May-05 20:35:53

where is it/ please tell

tamum Mon 23-May-05 20:38:21

it's

(not sure if you meant the apostrophe or the ballet show, so just in case- Edinburgh )

coppertop Mon 23-May-05 20:41:44

I'm of anyone who has the necessary co-ordination for dancing. I always end up looking like an elephant on acid.

Dingle Mon 23-May-05 20:42:57

No - not patronising at all! My dd is 3.5 and has DS. I have been thinking for a little while about trying to find a dance class for her at some stage. She is a born mimic, and has even started to copy ds when he practices his karate routine!

It is inspiring to think that one day dd will be up there doing something like this and I will look forward to a very proud mummy moment!

tamum Mon 23-May-05 20:54:42

Well, make sure you tell us all about it when she does Dingle I hadn't seen the older girl before, but the little one is about 5, and she was in the show two years ago when she was 3, so go for it!

tamum Mon 23-May-05 20:55:12

CT, me too, I was in awe of them all

Fio2 Mon 23-May-05 20:59:52

the apostrophe

and not really the right the thread but you know my wee lassie is hypotonic (like alot of kids with DS) well today i have been told she doesnt need to wear piedros all the time, infact buy her trainers for leisure time and may be no need for an op, no need for splints and just carry on with her heel cups and what she is doing as th progress is wonderful

anyhow i think it was that black cat this morning, as thuis hasnt happened for ages

dingle teck her to ballet she will love it

tamum Mon 23-May-05 21:01:50

Oh fio, that's brilliant news! Especially after the story from the physio. How lovely to be able to go and choose trainers, make sure they're nice and flashy, won't you

Fio2 Mon 23-May-05 21:04:18

sorry couldnt wait we went straight into canterbury and she has barbie ones that light up

foolysh Mon 23-May-05 21:05:41

I knew a 12 yo girl with Down's syndrome who was a decent (downhill, on snow) skiier.

tamum Mon 23-May-05 21:06:56

Ah, light-up Barbie ones, just what I had in mind

Dingle Mon 23-May-05 21:07:42

Great news Fio! I hope the improvement continues!

I looked into horse riding for dd, in the hope that it would help her with her hyperflexed knees, but she is on a rather long waiting list and they won't take her until she is 4 anyway.

I will look into some sort of dance class for her. Yes, she would love it! I can just picture her in a little pink tutu and a huge grin!

Fio2 Mon 23-May-05 21:11:08

i will ask where my dd goes for the horseriding dingle as i know it is more your way, davros says though that all stables (or most) are quite good not just the ones that advertise the HRFTD

tamum i didnt rush out honestly............

Davros Mon 23-May-05 21:36:29

Great news Fio! No doubt she'll soon have a trainer wardrobe! I think the ballet sounds great too, esp the pink tutu!

My DS goes to Riding for the Disabled and we were on a waiting list for 2 years. A couple of other kids in our session have CP, one much more severe than the other, and their parents talk a lot about trunk strengthening and the like. I do know people who've just booked a 1:1 at local stable and found it really good, one even had a volunteer who had worked with children with ASD elsewhere by coincidence. My only problem is the people working at the place we go are not very good with bog standard autism and learning disability, they are much better with physical disabilities and "less" behaviour iyswim. Basically I think they are all there mostly because they like horses and do some good on the side, so you can hardly complain.

JakB Tue 24-May-05 10:00:25

Ah! This is a great thread! I'm really jealous of my neighbour who has a DD a year older than my DD and takes her to ballet every Saturday morning . I'm not sure DD will ever do ballet (!) but she likes horseriding. We found a really great stables near us and they're brilliant with her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: