Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

wish me luck as I will be using melatonin for the first time

(26 Posts)
2shoes Thu 30-Jul-09 15:39:29

tonight.......

bubblagirl Thu 30-Jul-09 15:49:56

good luck its been a godsend to us it is down to trial and error to get where you need to be though so we ave had to change the time given 3 times but still its still been fab

bubblagirl Thu 30-Jul-09 15:50:18

have not ave im not that common lol

slightlycrumpled Thu 30-Jul-09 16:17:46

Good luck 2shoes. Here's hoping you are all well rested in the morning. smile

bubbla, yeah yeah so you say. wink

lou031205 Thu 30-Jul-09 16:38:22

Good luck 2shoes!

drlove8 Thu 30-Jul-09 19:37:29

yay for twoshoes! hope the melatonin works for your DC . what type did you get? capsuls(spelling oops), or tablets or liquid? grin - think they all do the same thing but , one is fast acting ( cant remember what one). grin smile - sorry for waffleing .... just getting excited for you ..... ah sleep , tis wonderful! wink

2shoes Thu 30-Jul-09 22:03:19

not looking good, she freaked out and is fighting it......
have the tablets at the mo, but fingers crossed should get the liquid tommorow.

SirSupportman Thu 30-Jul-09 22:12:36

Good luck with the liquid 2Shoes, liquid meds can often be easier.

2shoes Thu 30-Jul-09 22:52:56

she is asleep
I do hope we get the liquid soon though.

lou031205 Fri 31-Jul-09 10:17:33

The liquid is a special order product, takes around 5 working days to come in.

2shoes Fri 31-Jul-09 10:20:56

I wish I could sisolve the tablet.........could I?

2shoes Fri 31-Jul-09 10:21:17

disolve

2shoes Fri 31-Jul-09 15:39:32

we have the liquid

bubblagirl Fri 31-Jul-09 16:42:04

excellent good luck

drlove8 Sun 02-Aug-09 22:00:33

so twoshoes , hows the melatonin been the last few days? , has DD settled with it yet?

DidEinsteinsMum Sun 02-Aug-09 22:11:41

Can i ask whether you asked for melatonin or if it was suggested and how long from that point to getting it?

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 09:03:44

DEM, we asked for help with DD's sleeping and the paed said he might give it, but wanted to wait and see. At the next appt, 3mo later, he just reached for his prescription pad. What issues does your DS have with sleep?

DidEinsteinsMum Mon 03-Aug-09 09:37:27

He doesnt, he never has slept. In a batch patch he has improved to the point where he goes to bed at 1.30am and gets up at 6am. Last night he went down at 9.30pm and was up 6 times during the night. The quality of sleep was too light. thankfully we seem to have moved away from many ups to late nights and early starts. I have been asking for help with his sleep since he was 4 months. We have tried everything. I spoke to GP about melationin. He requested info from ds' pead and the pead sent toddler taming stuff. I went through this with HV as the secretary hand't sent the information to me angry and she said she didnt understand why as i had done all this before i moved here 2 years ago and retired it all again under her advice and guidance. Not a happy bunny with the pead at mo as he has breached patient confidentuality and data protection act as well. Really not quiet sure how to move forward and know this is impacting on the behaviour problems that we are seeing during the day. Got appointment with GP tomo morning.

Annoyingly he is now 4 1/2 starts school in sept and this is going to jump from being mildly annoying and exhausting to being a major problem. I am prepare mentally for him to be expelled due to his behaviour when overtired. We are also querying aspergers at mo too and getting no where with that.

sorry have ranted and rambled and will head back to my complaint letter.

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 09:45:54

Ok. Do you see a developmental paed? The trouble GPs have is that Melatonin is only licensed for over 55's, so a doctor prescribing it for a child is 'on their own'. Our GP now prescribes it because the paed wrote to them to request it.

I take it you have tried blackout blinds, white noise, strict routine, etc.?

DidEinsteinsMum Mon 03-Aug-09 10:09:21

Yep tried those. Know idea if the pead we saw was a development pead. GP was the one who referred to ds's pead, he thinks it should be consider. Pead seems very out of touch with the situation and seems to be patting me on the head and giving me the label of panicy first time mum who does try the basic stuff and who is only trying to get attention.hmm all i bloody want is a good nights sleep and a child who is happy and can cope with the world. instead i have avaeraged between 4 and 6 hours of sleep per night and a child who gets himself into a severly distressed stated and is very violent because he cant cope with his cousin coming to stay and feels he should and is excited and cant deal with any of it.angry

To be honest i am glad i saw HV - she was shocked that this was the advice that was given. I think she feels as frustrated as me.

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 10:40:36

I've read your other threads. I think you need to google your Consultant's name, so you can find out what he/she is. If necessary ask for a referral to a specific paed - look up on your hospital website who has a special interest in development/autism/neurodisability.

In the meantime, compile a list of 'problems'. Break it down into sections - development i.e. fine/gross motor, communication, i.e speech/understanding, behaviour, sensory i.e. any issues with sounds, textures, smells, etc., sleep. Try to give examples.

Hopefully, you will be able to identify your DS's main issues, and get the help you need.

WRT sleep, there are a few causes. It isn't uncommon to have sleep issues, but managing them is a combination of minimising sensory overload and creating a safe sleep environment. Melatonin is helpful if the issue is getting to sleep. It isn't great for night waking.

BONKERZ Mon 03-Aug-09 10:44:27

2shoes.....how are you finding the melatonin, DS went on it last thursday. he is 9 and started on 2ml, we upped him to 4ml on thursday night after a week on 2ml, LAST NIGHT for the first time in over 2 years DS actually fell asleep BEFORE 8pm and was up at 7am!!!!!!!!!!!!

DidEinsteinsMum Mon 03-Aug-09 10:59:52

Lou -found that he is a consultant pead but only those listed at hospital. We do have another local hospital that we could be reffered to would it be work trying to find out if there are more appropriately qualified.... actually going to do that. Thank you for the advice. you are a star. How would you advise to deal with the delayed reaction thing that i get. Its part of what is making me out to be a worrying parent as they dont see the reactions as he doesn feel safe enough in those environments to display them. (long story how we got to that point)

2shoes sorry for hijack. not intended blush

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 12:58:37

To be honest, any Paed with experience of Developmental disorders such as Autism/Aspergers should be telling you that behaviours are not always directly linked to the preceeding event.

Read any of the behaviour threads for even NT children on here. First thing people suggest is end of term exhaustiion, etc.

For a child with routine/sensory issues, minor disruptions can seem to be coped with, then all of a sudden a meltdown happens.

One of the things our OT said was that half of their battle is to get parents to recognise the things that build up to meltdown over time, so that they are not left wondering why they got so worked up by the bowl being the wrong colour, for example.

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 12:59:10

Perhaps start another thread asking for advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now