Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

off-road wheelchairs - any experience

(13 Posts)
ReallyReally Thu 30-Jul-09 14:00:27

we have spent a happy half hour drooling over this www.hippocampe.co.uk/ at around £2,500 shock

also those three wheeler buggies but they don't look as funky

if we did get one we couldn't actually try one out (unless we left it another year, and we want to do it NOW [impatient])

any experience? if it's the right thing we don't mind spending the money

sarah293 Thu 30-Jul-09 20:01:02

Message withdrawn

glitteryb6 Thu 30-Jul-09 21:02:17

Do you go on the Special Kids in the UK site? one of the mums on there has one and could probably tell you more about it.

We recently got a Delta All terrain buggy from Delichon, who also do the Hippocampe

http://www.delichon.co.uk/

meltedmarsbars Thu 30-Jul-09 21:38:49

We have an off-road powerchair from Whizzkidz, I'll go and see what its called....

meltedmarsbars Thu 30-Jul-09 21:51:35

Sounds like you're after a manual chair, but if power chairs are any use, this is what we have. Its great for most terrain within reason but not steep hills - protests with a go-slow until you turn around grin

ReallyReally Thu 30-Jul-09 22:13:01

ooh now glittery we have looked at that

is it good? we are thinking country walks, woods etc

it has the advantage of being about half the price grin but I don't know if it's as versatile - how does it cope with outdoorsy stuff?

We just realised we used to do lots of walks before dc, and now we don't sad

ReallyReally Thu 30-Jul-09 22:14:51

melted thanks for that - but yes we are looking for a manual chair

dd doesn't need a lot of support, so we can choose around our requirements rather than hers, eg boot space

meltedmarsbars Thu 30-Jul-09 22:37:28

The main problem with country walks is the b**ing styles!

glitteryb6 Fri 31-Jul-09 10:42:46

i think the Delta is fab!

For us its not as supportive as ds's wheelchair although you can buy a seperate liner but we got it really for the places where we cant easily take his wheelchair because of the tiny front wheels and also to go abroad without worrying about his wheelchair getting damaged on the plane!

The Delta could cope with just about anything i reckon, although maybe not sand?
Perfect for woodland walks and really light and easy to push, folds pretty flat too and we also have the storage bag for when its not getting used.

i stay at the bottom of a steep hill and its been great for walking up to the shop at the top of the hill, much lighter than pushing the wheelchair (a Quickie Zippie TS)

we have the size 1 which does up to 112cm so ds who is a very small 5 will get loads of use out of it.

as an example the folded size of the size 1 is 850 x 50 x 30mm and the size 2 which goes up to 150cm is 1000 x 560 x 300mm

also looks better in real life than on the website we have the all black one but it also comes in all purple, black with bright orange mesh and black with bright pink mesh

ReallyReally Fri 31-Jul-09 14:05:37

that's really helpful - is it easy enough to push? We do live near the beach so sand would be a problem... hmmm

glitteryb6 Fri 31-Jul-09 14:54:57

yeah it's really easy to push, the front wheel is fixed but you just tip it back to go round corners and its easy as its so light.

as i said i havent tried it out on sand but the front wheel is the same width as the back wheels, 2 inches wide, so ireckon it would be fine on compacted damp sand but it might struggle on the fine stuff maybe?

suppose it depends how often you would be at the beach versus woodland walks, for me i think the Hippocampe would be better for the beach but i think it might look a bit strange going down the shops etc, whereas the Delta looks like a normal 3 wheeler IYKWIM?

ReallyReally Mon 03-Aug-09 14:07:33

have ordered one

ooooh

thanks

glitteryb6 Mon 03-Aug-09 20:19:00

oooh fab! hope you enjoy it! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now