Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just Had DX- What Help Can We Get?

(27 Posts)
chinchi Thu 30-Jul-09 08:25:53

Some of you may have read my other post 'Will DS Ever Walk Or Talk' and know that my son was diagnosed with CP this week.

We are already claiming DLA at the lower care level, but wondered what else we may be entitled to?

I was given a Family Fund application pack, but not really sure what to apply for!!

I was also told it may be worth contacting those who pay DLA to inform them that we have a dx.

Any help would be great! Thankyou.

sarah293 Thu 30-Jul-09 08:58:59

Message withdrawn

glitteryb6 Thu 30-Jul-09 10:00:59

Carers allowance too if your not working or working part time?

5inthebed Thu 30-Jul-09 10:09:57

Definitely redo your DLA form, put the worst day ever rather than everyday problems.

Family fund, I am currently doing driving lessons though them, might be a good idea if you don't drive yet and transporting your DS is difficult.

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 11:55:32

Carers are also entitled to a payment of around £300 for them to spend on their own time out or to use towards a break. Sorry, not sure what it's called but had been told about it by the Carers Group that cover the city. Apparently, it's funded by the government but you have to apply for it and they don't advertise the fact that it's available. Good to know it's there when you need it though.

Reduction in council tax if you have a room that is solely for the use of the child.

Extra tax credits for those in receipt of DA.

Don't forget to check out the short breaks too.

sarah293 Thu 30-Jul-09 13:07:43

Message withdrawn

ChopsTheDuck Thu 30-Jul-09 13:34:11

I heard about that carer's grant throught the Aiming High for Disabled Children movement. I think you have to apply to them for it, but not sure how it is assessed. I did have an application form sent to em but never bothered.

There is a gov bit about it here

ChopsTheDuck Thu 30-Jul-09 13:35:55

lookjs like it quite new in your area, riven here

Marne Thu 30-Jul-09 14:07:19

I heard somewhere about the 300.00 thing, not sure what it was called though, is it a carers grant or something?

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 16:10:57

Riven, It's not advertised and I was told the uptake was (not) surprisingly low! Do you have a Carer's organisation that covers your nearest big city? (Ones that cover all carers - not just parent-carers).... They will be able to tell you about it.

I have a leaflet about it somewhere in my house - Will have to try and find it so I can tell you the name of it....

Really not making this up. Apparently you can use it however you see fit - it's for some relaxation for you or for you and your DC - whatever you like.

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 16:13:16

Was told you do have to apply for it but apparently they really can't turn you down if you are caring for a child or someone you live with as it's such a full on and stressful situation.

sarah293 Thu 30-Jul-09 16:36:12

Message withdrawn

FioFio Thu 30-Jul-09 16:46:34

Message withdrawn

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 16:48:41

Riven it really is £300 in your pocket to spend as you see fit.

I think, (though a bit vague) you can apply for it every 12 months or something like that - but not certain about that bit.

I haven't applied yet but need to get to the carers offices once the dc's are back at school - might need some sort of pamper night or girls night out by then. Could use it to join a gymn.... Or I wonder if they'd mind if I just spent it on chocolate...? mmmmmm...

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 16:52:17

Sorry Op! Back to your first question....

Free bus travel (you get a carer's card) that allows you free bus travel when escorting your dc.

Free or cheap cinema entry - I'm sure somebody will be along soon who can help with info on how you get this...

Theme parks and most other family entertainment places - carer usually goes free but you need to ask - no need to queue either.

Goes off now to think of some more... back later if I do...

sarah293 Thu 30-Jul-09 16:56:00

Message withdrawn

chinchi Thu 30-Jul-09 16:58:07

Thanks so much for all of the replies!

I wouldnt complain about £300!

Just phoned up to request another claim form for DLA, and hopefully they will increase it to at least middle level care then I can apply for carer's allowance.

I think the Family Fund is a great idea, although not really sure what I need to apply for! I can drive, so have that covered!

sarah293 Thu 30-Jul-09 17:11:10

Message withdrawn

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 17:11:41

Riven: Social worker(s) round here hadn't got it on their list either. It was the carers organisation that had it but even they weren't publicising it either - they gave the leaflet only when asked, and I had been prompted to ask. (Really will have to find the leaflet later).

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 17:16:06

Now wondering if buying chocolate would be frivolous when I could use it to buy a (2nd hand) one of these:

My ds(asd) hates the noise of vacs too & we lived with a very dirty blush carpet for years.

bigbunny3 Thu 30-Jul-09 17:43:39

oh i have a roomba and i love it
the best thing i ever ever brought

sarah293 Thu 30-Jul-09 17:44:57

Message withdrawn

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 17:50:48

Some sort of robot-vac that goes off and cleans your carpets and hard floors once a day then put's itself away in it's little home to charge up again. Apparently all you have to do is remember to empty it. The big plus is that you can get it all done while dc's aren't around to be bothered by the noise - specially if they have sensory issues.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 30-Jul-09 18:34:53

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 30-Jul-09 18:42:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: