Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Melatonin please come and tell me about it....

(13 Posts)
2shoes Wed 29-Jul-09 11:44:03

dd has just been prescibed it and I need to know all about it

FioFio Wed 29-Jul-09 11:54:27

Message withdrawn

2shoes Wed 29-Jul-09 12:10:17

oh that sounds just what we need, she is ok once asleep, but it is the getting her to sleep bit(turns out it is a side affect of her new meds, but they are working , so don't want to stop them)

2shoes Wed 29-Jul-09 15:29:29

bump for more advice

lou031205 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:54:18

Hi 2shoes. We use melatonin for DD (3.6). What type do you have? We have the oral liquid. It works very quickly. DD can be bouncing around the room hyper, then within 10 minutes of having it, she begs for bed.

Not so great for night-waking, though.

I'd suggest making sure she is totally ready for bed the first night you give it, so you can just hook her in when she gets tired. I find that if DD gets tired then has to stay up we lose her 'window'.

coppertop Wed 29-Jul-09 17:17:43

Ds2 takes it.

He has his mixed into a yoghurt. It takes about 20 minutes for him to start getting tired and then fall asleep. It doesn't always work but mostly does.

2shoes Wed 29-Jul-09 17:18:50

it will work it has too.......

2shoes Wed 29-Jul-09 17:19:56

so if I want dd asleep by 10 and I am giving a tablet crushed in a spoon of yoghurt(can't get the liquid in time ) what time should I give it too her?

TotalChaos Wed 29-Jul-09 17:21:36

not used it myself, but understand it's particularly useful for the getting to sleep bit.

in terms of the new meds - do you have to give them at a set time each day, or several doses a day, or is it just one dose a day - just wondering if changing the timing of the meds was a possibility to see if tha made a difference.

2shoes Wed 29-Jul-09 17:26:31

it has to be given 3 times a day and we give the last dose at 6. so can't do it earlier. it is a shame as it is working so well, she sat on the sofa yesterday and didn't slip down

bubblagirl Wed 29-Jul-09 17:27:30

when ds first got melatonin it was trial and error we have kidsnap oral we aimed for 8 and gave it hoping to get him to sleep but once he was already over tired found it worked less

so we gave it at 6 and he was asleep by 7

as he was on it longer it was only taking 15 mins to work so now we give whatever time he appears to be getting tired so we dont overstep to over tired for him we have found 7 pm works well and he will wake once in night and maybe 1 more dose needed depends if we can settle quick enough in our room he seems to be able to go back off once in there

bubblagirl Wed 29-Jul-09 17:29:45

i do find i do have to move times i have to go by what time he wakes in morning his always an early riser 5 am is fine for me as i can have him asleep for 7 so get full night to myself

sometimes the later i give it the earlier he wakes so you may just need to experiment for few days see what works best for you i do find aiming for 8 oclock sleep seems to work best so give at 7.30 any later i find he wakes more and wakes earlier in morning

bubblagirl Wed 29-Jul-09 17:31:56

now we do 7 as the 8 oclock seemed to be too late the more sleep he was getting the more he seemed to need it so we aim for 7 now 8 was good starter time as he was going off at 3 am at that point now its working really well do have few off nights wakes up and even with extra dose can take hours to go back off but only 1 a week maybe so better than every night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now