Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Book I am reading at the moment is very emotional

(5 Posts)
SammyK Wed 29-Jul-09 10:47:15

in a good way, thought I would see if anyone else had read it and what their thoughts were. I have not finished it yet but find myself saying 'yes yes' to each parent's feelings in their stories.

The book is Parenting a child with special needs. Living with and loving a disabled child.

It is very moving, I am having to read it in small chunks so I don't feel too overwhelmed.

cyberseraphim Wed 29-Jul-09 10:50:58

Sounds a bit familiar - Does the child in the book have microcephaly ?

SammyK Wed 29-Jul-09 11:00:59

The main part of the book is made up of each arent and child's story, written by the parent. It's in sections such as grief, denial, anger and so on, with 4-7ish stories in ezach section. I have just looked in the index and microcephaly is in there yes.

I got it from the library thinking I would just flick thorugh it but it's providing a real sense of confirmation that how I feel as a parent to DS isn't unusual, that we all go through this huge range of emotions, and aren't alone in how we feel (bad and good days) about our gorgeous dcs.

cyberseraphim Wed 29-Jul-09 11:03:59

Probably not the same one then. It is very strange reading these books as in the real world, you feel like the 'only one' who feels this way.

SammyK Wed 29-Jul-09 11:35:46

That's exactly it, to have a book full of different parents (some mums, some dads) talking very frankly about their experiences and not leaving out one single emotion they felt is very comforting yet emotional to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now