Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone had to give birth in a hospital that they are suing for causing another dc's disability?

(4 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Wed 29-Jul-09 08:26:45

I know it's a long shot but thought there might be someone here. We have just started legal action against hospital for buggering p dd's birth resulting in cerebral palsy. They will literally be receiving the papers this week. I am 33 weeks pregnant and have to return to the same hospital this time. (can't go to low risk unit in town and next nearest consultant led unit is more than 30 miles away and I can't be that far from family at this time). I just don't know how I feel about it all, will the staff even be aware? At the very least we will be hyper vigilant and this time round will be looking out for things going wrong. angry

slightlycrumpled Wed 29-Jul-09 11:18:44

Hello hanging. Wow I can't believe you are 33 weeks already!

I have no advice regarding the legal action for birth, but we made a massive complaint to our local (and main) hospital regarding a major cockup with DS2's care/treatment etc, and he did and still does have to attend the hospital.

Since the complaint we have been treated well and I have had no further cause for concern.

Are you able to talk face to face with the consultant/ midwife team who will be caring for you to express your concerns before you actually go to hospital?

The hospital are obliged to treat you as they would any other patient, you now (sadly) have lots more knowledge than before and they wil be aware of that.

I hope your baby arrives safely, and that you come through it all unscathed, with a birth to remember for all the right reasons. (((hugs)))

glitteryb6 Wed 29-Jul-09 11:18:50

no exp as ds is my one and only but everyone i know who has gone on to have another child has used a different hospital.
i dont think the staff would be offhand with you in anyway, as you say they might be more vigilant as they know whats happened to you before.
I know what you're saying about not wanting to be too far away from family but if it was me i think i would find it hard to use the same hospital particularly if i remembered some of the staff who were involved in the previous birth?

i was recently out having lunch when i spotted some of the staff from the hospital where ds was born and while i'm not taking any action against them, as ds was ridiculously premature anyway, there was an incident that happened shortly after he was born involving a certain staff member.

I'll never know if that contributed to his problems and i dont know if i want to to be honest but i cant explain how i felt when i saw her, a mixture of anger and shock, it just really unsettled me and i cant help but think you might feel the same if you use the same hospital?

mum2fredandpudding Wed 29-Jul-09 11:23:19

oh dear, no experience but i can understand the anxiety. How long ago was dd's birth? Chances are with staff turnover and rotation it, staff involved then will not be around for this birth and therefore not in any way involved in legal action.

Can I ask whether the action is against specific medical professionals or the processes in general?

However whether the staff on this time around know or not should NOT adversly affect the level of care and support they give you. If anything it will make them more vigilant. And I cant say exactly how they would feel seeing as I am not in the medical profession, but if it was me I think I would try to approach each birth as the wonderful, exciting thing it is for a family, share that joy with them and not be at all concerned by othering things that may be afoot. I dont think you should try to hide what is happening from the staff (but that is just me as i am physically incapable of keeping things that are worrying me internalised and tend to purge concern to all that will listen!) but also think you absolutely have no compulsion to do so if you choose not to. It is all about what you feel will cause you less stress.

But I'm sure things will go much better this time. No doubt you now understand the technicalities of birth as good as any medical professional. GOOD LUCK and have a lovely last few weeks of your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now