Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

A really shallow thread!

(9 Posts)
anonandlikeit Tue 28-Jul-09 20:39:49

OK, this is shallow I know & in the grand scheme of things not that important.

But how do I dress & behave elegantly whilst at a function (on grass) whilst trying to sort out ds2.
I will either be trying to manouvre his w/chair or have him hanging off of me or hiding up my top.

I will no doubt spill my G&T all down me or bump in to a pensioner whilst trying to keep an eye on ds2 & stop him licking the lampposts.

I would love to wear some linen trousers & a nice light coloured top, maybe a pair of wedges, what I really need is an old pair of jeans & trainers.

Oh & if I have my hair doen it will just end up blowing in my face & sticking to my lipstick & then I will definately fall over... grin

monstermansmum Tue 28-Jul-09 20:53:05

lol-I'd wear the linen outfit but in a dark colour-Navy always looks elegant but is practical and not as boring as black. Loose the wedges and wear some pretty flatties and stick your hair up with lots of hairspray and clips. Ignore the dirty looks and "tut-tutting" and the helpful comments, hold your head up and act like youre no different to anyone else. dont aplogise to any one for whatever happens and just glare at the pensioner for getting in your way-maybe mutter something 'helpful' about old people needing to be in a home instead of being allowed out in public, and once you've drunk a few G&Ts you wont care about the one that got away!!grin grin

anonandlikeit Tue 28-Jul-09 21:02:41

Thanks Monstermm... sadly I fear the only advice I will follow is drink the few G&T's & then I will need the w/chair to hold on to!

donkeyderby Tue 28-Jul-09 22:53:19

Bring a lovely scarf/pashmina type thing to cover up the G&T stains.

Wear a really long dress to hide the jeans and trainers underneath

anonandlikeit Wed 29-Jul-09 00:13:06

lol at the very long dress, I'm not exactly small, so i think I would look like the marquee with a dress on top of jeans.

A scarf or pashmina could work though!

vjg13 Wed 29-Jul-09 08:47:31

I think wedges work ok on grass and the outfit sounds good. Maybe have some secret spares?!

Where are you going?

sc13 Wed 29-Jul-09 10:58:44

I'd say wedges, dark jeans of the type that looks like it's actually a fashion choice rather than a practicality (Uniqlo does some good ones), nice top, any kind of accessories that may cover/deflect attention from the top in case of drink accident. If DS is not one of those kids who are into breaking their mum's favourite necklaces (long sigh), then nice chunky necklace. Have fun!!

anonandlikeit Wed 29-Jul-09 17:11:17

A friend married overseas so is having a do when they get back, country house affair, Pimms & music in the garden.
Should be good I am really looking forward to it, but coupled with my natural clumsiness, free flowing alcohol & sorting the ds's (ds2 in particular as dh can't come) it may end in disaster.
I know any attempt to gracefully blend in & elegantly mingle (in my dreams) will result in me either wearing my drink or landing on my arse or possibly both.
Big necklace could be good. ds2 won't tug at it but likely to hang myself on his w/chair handle whilst bending over grin

The alternative is to pay ds1 to take ds2 in to the maze... I could end up with a child free hour or two grin

sc13 Thu 30-Jul-09 15:17:53

There is a maze? Wow. Sounds ideal - it's like a giant playpen, no? They can't get hurt, and they will probably spend hours in there --completely lost-- entertaining themselves...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now