Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Teach Your Child English

(10 Posts)
cyberseraphim Tue 28-Jul-09 15:56:30

www.rosettastone.co.uk/offer/language1?s_kwcid=rosetta-stone%7C2968006145&prid=gguk&gclid=CMKXtsvT-J sCFZ4A4wodMSBR_g

It's often said that teaching autistic children is like teaching them a foreign language so why not give it a try?

You can order a demo CD in (British) English/or any other language

I found it very useful - The photos are excellent and the simple language concepts are repeated over and over again and over and over again just the way an ASD child likes. The demo is comprehensive and totally free so it's a great way to find out if it is suitable or not

margobambino Wed 29-Jul-09 00:29:07

Is it for older children?

cyberseraphim Wed 29-Jul-09 06:29:44

Hard to say about age. The language is

The boy is drinking - photo of boy
The girl is drinking - photo of girl

The boy is eating - photo of boy
The girl is drinking - photo of girl

and so on

I don't think I will buy the full thing but as a little 'gimmick' it's quite good - got DS1 saying his verbs anyway !

silverfrog Wed 29-Jul-09 08:59:23

how printable do you think the resources are? for use as ABA pictures, for eg?

dd1 loves photo cards/flash cards etc, and we have got ehr saying (and generalisig form that) loads this way - do you think it would be suitable for that?

dd1 is not currently computer savvy (not allowed near it at all - it is MINE grin), so wouldn't get on with a CD ROM as such, but if we could print stuff out, and replicate, we could maybe use it as a guide to where to go with language... what do you think?

cyberseraphim Wed 29-Jul-09 09:32:25

I think most computer issues are a case of 'where there's a will, there's a way' I know on the Mac, You can use a utility called 'Grab' to capture any screen images but I don't know about PC equivalents.

cyberseraphim Wed 29-Jul-09 10:04:11

Also if you use Google Images, you can type in 'Boy Eating' or whatever and gets lots of lovely pictures for ABA/VB cards - that's what I mainly do

silverfrog Wed 29-Jul-09 10:10:00

oh yes, i do that do, cyber, but was just wondering how translatable the programme was, iyswim?

if it is jsut to be used on a computer, then it wouldn't (currently) be suitable for dd1, as she doesn't use a computer - the whole set-up would baffle her, along with the vice prompt being different, etc.

but if I oculd follow the programme (as in steps to build up language use) but in my own way (presenting dd1 with the pictures, speaking the prompts myself) it coudl be quite a useful tool for her (and save me the tiem spent sorting out suitable images!)

silverfrog Wed 29-Jul-09 10:10:16

*do that too

cyberseraphim Wed 29-Jul-09 10:19:14

Yes - I think you could do what you suggest - although I've not looked at all the lessons on the demo. The program is not really high tech, it is just a structured presentation of images supporting a bit of language so yes I am sure it could translate to an off the computer model. The program prompts the child to choose the correct image by mouse moving and clicking (DS1 not too great at this so usually get him to point with his finger)

silverfrog Wed 29-Jul-09 11:21:14

thaks, cyber, I willinvestigate smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now