Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

how do you cut your childs hair if they have sensory issues.

(35 Posts)
staryeyed Tue 28-Jul-09 15:53:09

I have been cutting Ds 4 hair in his sleep during his day time nap. Now we have cut the naps for the new melatonin regime. I dont know how I will cut it anymore. What do you do?

dinosaur Tue 28-Jul-09 16:00:29

we don't, and DS3 looks like a Shetland pony now grin

seriously, I'd love to know how to crack this problem

sc13 Tue 28-Jul-09 16:09:30

That's the million dollar question in our household too. I'm going to try and do a social story visual board for next time and see how it works. If you have a SALT they can help you put one together. If you have an OT (we don't yet) they're also supposed to have advice about this

troutpout Tue 28-Jul-09 16:24:11

Do it at night?

We switched to using clippers when ds was about 7 as he could bear snippy scissors near his ears no longer. He still doesn't like the clippers (obviously)...but he can tolerate it if i distract him with a book or something else. We keep it short and do it frequently..as the less frequently i do it, the worse he becomes.

cyberseraphim Tue 28-Jul-09 16:35:22

Lots of preparation before taking him. Repeat 'Going Haircut, Get Lollypop After Haircut' several million times. He did grow out of the problem so there is hope

dinosaur Tue 28-Jul-09 16:38:17

I do wonder if we should try clippers.

Would there be a risk of getting in a horrid tangle if I took them to DS3's long hair?

staryeyed Tue 28-Jul-09 17:02:39

Ds has very limited understanding so social stories and bribes wont work for DS.

We tried both clippers and scissors but he wont tolerate either.

lingle Tue 28-Jul-09 18:39:52

haircuts are DS2's least favourite thing in the world.
it was worse last time because I gave him a lolly straight away and hair fell on it and got stuck on it.
But we has mastered hairwashing now ("I not crying, I lean back, I big boy")so I live in hope.

tipsycat Tue 28-Jul-09 19:43:33

My DS (8) ASD used to have a major issue with hair cutting, he wouldn't sit / stand still, cried, got hysterical, made himself sick.

We found a very sympathetic hairdresser who would give him an appointment when then shop was closed (so no hairdryers on, no noisy & nosy other customers etc) and literally chased him round the shop while cutting his hair. We went every 2 weeks, and eventually he began to improve. After a year or so, we got to the point where I can take him to a regular barbers and he'll sit still in the chair!!!!

Persevere, you'll get there in the end.

anonandlikeit Tue 28-Jul-09 19:44:52

Quickly grin

mysonben Tue 28-Jul-09 23:04:10

Hair cutting is a problem for ds too. He is 3.9 ,asd ,first i never cut his hair unless dh or someone is there to entertain him with a book , a toy,... i'm an ex hairdresser so to my advantge i can cut quick, but to my disavantage i like a good nice haircut and ds will not stop whining, fidgetting and crying on a bad day.
I'm so fed up with the haircut palaver that i 'm now letting his hair grow so he can sport a fancy collar skimming mop! grin

We have trouble with nail cutting too...arggg!!!

Shells Wed 29-Jul-09 03:07:10

I do hair and nails when he's in bed asleep at night. Its quite comic - gets over pillow, always a bit uneven etc.

We also had some success watching the Charlie and Lola DVD where Lola doesn't want her haircut. He let me have a bit of a chop chop after that!

There's no way he'd go to hairdressers.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 29-Jul-09 07:42:32

I now take my son to a children's hairdressers at a department store in London. They use the clippers. It works well for us but we have had both had to persevere at it. The staff there are well versed in dealing with children who for example fidget, scream and or have sensory issues.

Found the local hairdressers to me useless particularly when DS was younger; some were very intolerant of his difficulties.

staryeyed Wed 29-Jul-09 10:05:35

Shells how do you cope with the loose hair all over the bed after-doesnt it irritate your ds? Ds hates loose hair on him.

sc13 Wed 29-Jul-09 10:51:42

Attila Which department store in London - which which which???

glitteryb6 Wed 29-Jul-09 11:04:27

Ds wouldnt tolerate the barbers and couldnt sit on the chair anyway so i lay him on the bathroom floor and scalp him with rechargeable clippers (no cable if he's thrashing about a bit!)

He used to hate the noise but with a lot of distraction, he quite likes it now as long as i'm quick.

Just did his hair this morning infact, unfortunately the clippers lost their charge just after i had done the sides of his hair so at the moment he is sporting a rather fetching mullett! blush

5inthebed Thu 30-Jul-09 00:06:22

We use cordless (rechargeable) clippers on DS2, less noise and vibration, and great for chasing around the house grin

Goblinchild Thu 30-Jul-09 07:40:20

Found a lovely local hairdresser who was willing and able to listen and adapt.
Bribed him with cake for afterwards.
Don't want to cast a shadow over your futures, but wait until shaving becomes an issue. grin

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 30-Jul-09 08:10:09

sc13,

Harrods (their childrens hairdressing dept is on the fifth floor).

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 30-Jul-09 08:13:40

Another one I've used for DS is "Daisy and Tom" in Chelsea. There's also a new hairdressers for children on the Kings Road called Tantrum which is designed for children of all ages.

mulsey Thu 30-Jul-09 13:12:53

I found a nice wee hairdresser who would come to the house, and we put the chair in front of whatever dvd is the favourite at that time...and fingers crossed its been working.

sc13 Thu 30-Jul-09 14:54:27

Thanks!!! Daisy and Tom shut down, didn't they. I've heard of Tantrum, but if you say Harrods are good we'll go there (in Knightsbridge nobody can hear you scream)

marmoset Fri 31-Jul-09 21:50:19

Two person job - one to wrap ds1 in large towel and talk reassuringly and one to use clippers. It has got much easier in last couple of years but it is a bit of a grit the teeth and get on with it jobs. Photo albums show ds1 with a wide variety of hair lengths depending on state of parental willpower at any point in time grin

Phoenix4725 Sat 01-Aug-09 06:56:41

we spent months just going in our very understanding barbers to play with large box of toys he keeps in there.
And stage by stage have got to point where he will let him cut his hair , but no hairdryers or clippers and we tend to go in at lunchtime or prearrange it so ds does not have to wait and none turns hairdryer on while ds is in their after he almost fell out chair in fright

mimsum Sat 01-Aug-09 09:58:08

staryeyed - if you're anywhere near Clapham, Sally on Northcote Road is brilliant with small (and not so small) children - she's also very quick!

Both ds1 and ds2 hated having their hair cut with a passion - ds1 used to scream the entire way through and more than one haircut was abandoned mid-way ... however, they've both gradually grown out of it

having the same person do it every time really helped, as did watching a dvd and lolly afterwards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now