Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ed phych coming for home visit - advice please

(7 Posts)
overthebar Tue 28-Jul-09 12:44:00

Following my formal request for a statement I have been given an appt with the ed phych for a home visit for approx 3 hours next Mon. Am nervous about this. What will he do for 3 hours? Only thing he said is that he wanted to observe him (DS 3.2 ASD dx'd last month)at meal times. That should be fun as I am usually running after him spoon feeding him or watching a DVD in the buggy! And advice grateful.

Also have had a letter back asking to complete a (preSA-parForm). Is this standard practice as the information they are requesting ie "why do you think your child needs a SA" was all enclosed with the initial request?

Many thanks in advance.

sc13 Tue 28-Jul-09 16:17:15

My DS (3.3, ASD) saw the Ed Psych at nursery a couple of weeks ago. Apart from observing the usual things like communication and play, they did things like building a brick tower, seeing if he would build a bridge, stacking cups of different sizes, drawing elements of a human face, and following the Ed Psych's lead, or imitating what he did.
I don't know if it'll be anything similar though because it's at home?

anonandlikeit Tue 28-Jul-09 20:19:07

Hi Overthebar
DS2's clinical psych has carried out home visits, the first one was an entire afteroon.

She just chatted to me while he went about his usual stuff at home, she was going through his history on standard forms etc & every so often she would comment on his behaviour & ask if it was usual or does he sometimes do x OR Y instead.

It was all very relaxed it just allowed her to observe ds2 at his most comnfortable in his own surroundings.

She did try to encourage him to expand his very limited behaviour by encouraging play & asking him to fetch her certain toys etc.

She also asked me to ask him if he wanted a drink & to try to get him to make a choice between orange & blackcurrant, as always he didn't ahve a clue what I was on about.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 28-Jul-09 20:20:08

Message withdrawn

anonandlikeit Tue 28-Jul-09 20:20:11

Oh & she made lots & lots of notes!

overthebar Wed 29-Jul-09 12:52:17

Many thanks for your replies. My DS has never sat at the table with us and eaten a meal. Like I said he has to be spoon fed and distractd with a book or DVD. However I will attempt to sit him down and start to eat at the table but know it wont work. All these q's they ask. I have done a pack for him which includes his SALT report, NHS Developmental Assessment report, Nursery report and Private Consultant report with DX. It is so obvious what his needs are. Will let you know how it goes and he is welcome to lunch but will prob have to eat it on the go like I have to every day!

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 29-Jul-09 14:59:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now