Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD: The Science Stuff - More Coffee Break Reading

(18 Posts)
WednesdaysChild Tue 28-Jul-09 11:38:47

This link: American Academy of Pediatrics - Management of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders

A bit long winded, I know, but just look at the bibliography at the end - Loads of links that seem to cover so many topics to do with ASD. Hope it helps.

cyberseraphim Tue 28-Jul-09 11:52:35

I've skim read and it looks very interesting - particularly the need for better family support. If this area was better managed, some of the other issues could be better dealt with - I think now that suspicions and antagonisms can fester between parents and professionals which means that valuable time is wasted.

WednesdaysChild Tue 28-Jul-09 11:57:28

There are some bits worth printing off and taking along to meetings with the professionals.

Will have to remember to repeat the recommendations about the "empiricle care" or "mum knows best", as I like to think of it. (New word to me) smile

cyberseraphim Tue 28-Jul-09 12:22:11

I hate being called 'Mum' though - es. in reports that say

'Mum expressed view that...'

What if mum was a Doctor or Professor? - Would they put

'Professor X expressed view that.....' or would they worry it would give the false impression that the parent knows what she is talking about. I do know Docs/Profs can be dotty but using the 'Mum' label seems designed to put you in your place.

WednesdaysChild Tue 28-Jul-09 12:27:34

Yes, me too. Especially when it's done in that way - v.patronising. That's why the "Empiricle" is good, it recognises that parent-carers are the ones who have actually had more experience or observation time than any professional study.

debs40 Tue 28-Jul-09 12:28:23

cyberseraphim oooh good point! I always hate the 'hello mum' bit from teachers at school too

cyberseraphim Tue 28-Jul-09 12:29:59

Shout 'Hello Teacher!' Back ? Don't know if I'll have the nerve though - DS1 starts school in 2 weeks so will watch out for that.

lingle Tue 28-Jul-09 19:19:37

"I think now that suspicions and antagonisms can fester between parents and professionals which means that valuable time is wasted. "

Yep. My paediatrician and I have an entirely dysfunctional relationship.

Perhaps someone needs to publish a paper about the management of paediatricians instead.......?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 28-Jul-09 20:24:02

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 28-Jul-09 20:35:02

Message withdrawn

lingle Tue 28-Jul-09 20:49:37

<brief hijack to talk to fellow mother of musical late-talker.>
Starlight- DS2 (now 3.11) was heard picking out "10 green bottles" on the piano yesterday (big brother has started piano lessons). Did a good job on that big interval half way through....
Yours still singing all day?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 28-Jul-09 21:01:10

Message withdrawn

lingle Tue 28-Jul-09 21:18:58

He's a bit young for piano playing yet!!!!

DS1's teacher comes to the house so DS2 gets to watch whilst pretending not to watch iyswim.

Plus I get to wear my dressing gown....

sc13 Wed 29-Jul-09 11:13:17

On the music bit: have you tried music therapy? We had our first assessment yesterday and I was blown away. DS making eye contact with perfect strangers, banging drums on cue, changing tempo on cue - never seen anything like it.

lingle Wed 29-Jul-09 15:38:35

cool.

my DS2 needed ""anti-music" therapy": He was too bloody musical to bother with meaning.....

WednesdaysChild Wed 29-Jul-09 18:47:28

Mine likes to try and join in with the street entertainers/buskers & they (mostly) seem to love it. smile

sc13 Thu 30-Jul-09 15:15:16

Wednesday, that's SO cool!!

WednesdaysChild Thu 30-Jul-09 16:15:32

Really recommend it to all parents to try... Maybe will post about it on Chat.....

The entertainers seem to absolutely love it as they get more interest from the public this way....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now