Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

anyone else struggling to get AS child away from ...

(19 Posts)
Yummymum1 Mon 27-Jul-09 15:13:11

their computers and outside? He just doesnt know how to "play" and claims he's bored!
We live in a fab place with paddocks,streams etc and he finds it all 'boring'.

To add to my frustration and anxiety,i read the other day that children are supposed to have 60mins exercise each day and this is just an extra thing to worry about on top of the 5 a day fruit and veg which as he eats barely enough to keep a sparrow alive is quite a challenge!!!!!

Frankly we all have enough to worry about without being told this that and the other!

Thank you,rant over blush

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 27-Jul-09 15:28:49

yup. I turn off tv and hog computer and tell them tough luck. They go off and do something. grin

Wouldn't let them outside the garden alone though. They have no sense of danger and are too vulnerable.

(by "them" I mean my 2, not autistic children in general!!)

VJaybigpants Mon 27-Jul-09 17:02:24

Yes, my ds loves the computer and tv, and would much rather play/watch these than go outside and play. I struggle to get him outside at all. Luckily our local NAS arrange a soft play at the local leisure centre for 2 hours twice a week and he loves it....once he's there! It's always a struggle to get him out. I also arranged for extra swimming lessons for him during the holidays and he loves that too. It is hard sometimes smile

mumslife Mon 27-Jul-09 17:14:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yummymum1 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:34:21

I have just told him about the 60 mins a day and he has been out on his bike for a bit.You are right that they ususlly enjoy things once they are there but it is a struggle!
He is booked into the special needs holiday club once a week which will be fab.It of course would help if we had a decent spell of weather....

Flamesparrow Mon 27-Jul-09 17:35:39

We are fine if we are out somewhere (pref with other children), but ocme back from day out and the tv "isn't working" (if I press the right combo of buttons she can't make it work), and we won't let her make anything.

Therefore we are all evil.

I have suggested doing and/or tidying the puzzles scattered over the floor, or playing in the garden.

Nope.

Yummymum1 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:52:43

It is so reassuring that we are not alone,somehow that makes it easier.

Chin up everyone,only 5wks or so to go!!smile

Flamesparrow Mon 27-Jul-09 18:00:36

Grrr, she found the DS!!!!

mumslife Mon 27-Jul-09 19:41:35

ChopsTheDuck Tue 28-Jul-09 08:23:29

ds not dx as but lots of traits is like that. I sometimes wish had never bought the things. But since he doesn't know how to play and has physical issues so can't run around all day, it's the only thing he does like. And it's the same game too, hours on end! It was mario Kart for nearly a year, now it's lego star wars. Never seems to get bored of it.

I suppose I should be lucky that he doesn't like tv much neither, but that only leaves the sodding ds! grin

I'm dragging him out to places with the bribery that he's allowed to play the ds in the car on the way.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 28-Jul-09 08:25:08

lol @ she found the ds! One of my dts is obsessed in a NT way and if I hide the gameboys I find him sneaking off with my blackberry to play brickbreaker!

VJaybigpants Tue 28-Jul-09 11:10:24

lol mumslife you have described my ds's day too, wii, computer and especially sponge bob, which I hate!!!!
But you are all right, that once they are out they usually enjoy it, I think it's the thought of going out for them that puts them off.
chopstheduck I usually use bribery too, sometimes it's the only way blush

LeonieSoSleepy Tue 28-Jul-09 11:18:46

Message withdrawn

mumslife Tue 28-Jul-09 20:18:55

Yummymum1 Tue 28-Jul-09 20:41:35

mumslife,lol re the drama evening!Other families just do not realise!!!!

So glad we not alone in the eating out-with-headphones thing.It looks so anti social but sometimes it is the only way they can deal with going somewhere different and also v reassuring re the 'meal' scenario.grin

mumslife Wed 29-Jul-09 17:18:27

bubblagirl Wed 29-Jul-09 17:24:27

since holidays i am struggling to get ds outside he just wants to play ds all day long its so tiring managed to get him to spft p[lay today with a pre school friend soon to be big school class mate and he had great time minute we got back straight to games lol oh well thats my boy

coppertop Wed 29-Jul-09 17:33:17

I just knew what this thread was going to be about before I even opened it.

My 6yr-old is usually happy enough to go out but his older brother needs a cattle prod more persuasion.

In the holidays I aim to get them out of the house in the morning. After that my conscience is relatively clear.

(Typing this while both boys are playing on the DS!)

Merle Sun 02-Aug-09 09:15:10

I had the same reaction to the start of this thread as coppertop. It just had to be those wretched machines. My son is 10 and no formal diagnosis, but shows traits. It drives me bananas. He has a warning to turn it off, then never does, then I come in the room shouting 'you can't spend your whole life on the Xbox'. I wish we'd never got it. It was broken so it was sent back to Microsoft. They said it would be at least 3 weeks; they sent a brand-new one within a week! We have bought a trampoline but there are missing parts so we have to wait until next week.

Cricket practice works well; no choices-we are going to the park NOW!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now