Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hearing Test

(20 Posts)
fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 08:16:13

DD (2.9) has to have a hearing test today.

I read that they whisper the name of a picture and expect them to point at it?

As she possibly has ASD, I can't imagine this working AT ALL, even if she hears them.

Does anyone have experience of this??

TIA.

smile

notfromaroundhere Mon 27-Jul-09 08:55:04

DS1 has had 2 hearing tests in the last 6 months. The 1st one was a noise was made and a box to the side of him lit up a toy. He responded well to it in the beginning but because they wouldn't give him the toy to play with like he asked he ignored it after a while!

The 2nd test was a noise was made and he had to put a small toy teddy in a box. To begin with his wouldn't comply at all but I managed to trick him into sitting in the chair (I said I would sit there and he said I couldn't as I would break it - true but ouch!). He then used my hand to knock the teddy out of the lady's hand and when he was fully comfortable he did it directly himself.

The staff were really understanding, let him choose which teddy for the lady to hold and were very positive and full of praise when he responded.

Hope it goes well

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 08:56:03

Thanks. I fear she would just take the toy/teddy and run off to play with it in the corner but we shall see what happens!!

sodit Mon 27-Jul-09 08:59:24

we had one last monday, ds1 is 2.11 and has asd. first the put the things in his ears like they do for newborn test and they also test for glue ear. then we went in another tiny room where the was a folder of really boring black and white pictures the doctor had a headscarf and glasses the room was boiling hot. so ds1 promptly kicked off. he just screamed until i said its time to go which he heard perfectly well!!! he does point at pictures when asked though so i expected him to do that part and not the things in ears. they did say though his responses to the things in ears was perfect and that was the more important bit and asked me if i had any concerns over his hearing which is no if anything he has super sensitive hearing. i did have something for him to fiddle with for the hearing test and he just clung on to me holding it

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 09:00:24

Thanks, that is proably what will happen today for us, glad you managed to get some results at least.

ChopsTheDuck Mon 27-Jul-09 09:04:12

Mine jsut completely blanked the whole thing for years. Would jsut sit and stare into space, pointedly ignoring whatever stimulus they were playing, and so everyone was convinced he had hearing issues! hmm

Do you think she has any hearing issues? If not, I'd jsut keep explaining that and eventually they get the message. I think ds finally co-operated with one at the age of 5/6 and proved he had perfect hearing all along.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 09:09:34

well, I am not sure. We were sitting in a cafe the other week and an ambulance went past right behind us (the door was open) with siren blaring. We all jumped and she didn't bat an eyelid.

And she always acknowledges what i say if I am close up to her, and NEVER if I speak from behind her.

So would be interested to see. Also her speech seemed to stop for a bit, which coincided with getting LOTS of colds when she started playgroup, so would like to rule out glue ear.

Woooozle100 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:07:01

yes! dd has failed every bloody drumming monkey in a box hearing test ever - even with hearing aids!

They gave her grommets based on the gunk they could see in her ears and on a 'see if it makes any difference' basis

Then kept loosing the grommets

In the end they put her to sleep for some tests. Bit like the newborn hearing ones I think

She's had a bone conductor aid for a year and it has helped loads, despite her reticence to show it in formal tests

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:08:39

I'm glad she has improved smile.

I'm surprised ANY 2 year old would sit still and conform to these tests tbh.

Woooozle100 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:10:21

all the best for today btw

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:11:03

Thanks. Am rather nervous as DD has a habit of being sick everywhere if she even gets slightly upset, so hope she doesn't object to test too much.

Woooozle100 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:16:43

aww bless! My dd never objected to any of it. Just completely transended the situation grin

Don't think it should be distressing for her. Hope not anyway. I think I found them more distressing tbh

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:18:34

the distressing thing will be that we try to make her sit still and listen to us, and not run off and play with the toy, I think.

cyberseraphim Mon 27-Jul-09 10:55:46

Ours was fine - toys that light up boxes when sound made, all the child has to do is to turn to the noise. No pointing needed

peanut08 Mon 27-Jul-09 16:28:39

I was going to ask about the hearing test myself as DS has failed his first recently and has to go back next month.
I'm glad to read others had the bizzare light up toy boxes. DS was expected to turn towards the noise but he is only 10 months and is far more interested in people and faces than toys so I knew he'd rather interact with the women sat in the middle pulling faces and showing him toys, couldn't give a toss about the creepy dancing monkey. They've noted mild hearing loss but I haven't noticed any problems myself hmm

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:09:42

Well, they managed to ascertain that her hearing is fine. So she is just ignoring us, as we suspected.

I don't think they could have read the referral letter though, they kept saying "oh she is ignoring us, oh we are not getting through to her, oh she is just staring into space" and making a big deal of it, which made me a bit sad

She enjoyed the test though, although she kept wanting to grab the toys.

Woooozle100 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:12:07

grin at the creepy dancing monkey. It is really innit? They're all like something off a horror movie (I used to have a thing about them drumming duracell bunnies as a kid so maybe a bit of that)

agree peanut that they can get you to this test when its totally innappropriate. They started them on dd at 6 months. A child with no developmental issues should respond to the tests between 6 -9 months so was ridiculous waste of time optimistic to say the least

But hey - am grateful audiology kept such a close eye on us cos like I said aids are helping my dd loads. Dunno why they don't just give these bone conductor aids (which bypass the ear function and amplify sound through the bone) for families to try at home for a few days on kids they can see have glue ear and do not co operate with tests

Woooozle100 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:15:02

x posted

that's good about her hearing fanjo. And that she found the test entertaining!

bummer that their matter of fact way in describing yr dd made you feel like that though. Tis always horrible to hear stuff outright in those situations

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:19:43

i agree 10 months is too young, they JUST managed to assess DD and she is 2.9, if she had been younger I don't think they would have managed.

peanut08 Mon 27-Jul-09 18:50:55

Glad all went well Fanjo smile.
Yes 10 months is young and so is 11 so don't know why they're bothering yet really. DS has down's and so I guess it's about ticking boxes in recognised problem areas regardless of the test being (IMO although I'm new to all this) too advanced for his age and development.
Pixie, I have a thing about toy monkeys ever since the spooky one in Stephen King's Skeleton crew that bashed it's cymbals and gnashed it's teeth <shudder>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now