Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Desperate for help for my son - Sensory/Autism??????

(12 Posts)
JAKEJEM Sun 22-May-05 20:41:40

Can anyone please help me, am desperately searching for assesment for my son by going privately (long wait through NHS) but cannot find anyone in Northern Ireland - need someone qualified in sensory issues/autism. Things are getting worse at home and we have a one year old to take into account to. Cannot wait so long to be assessed. Thank you.

monica2 Sun 22-May-05 22:17:00

Hi Jakejem, have you tried the NAS website, I have had a quick search on website for Northern Ireland but nothing there, think it would be worth calling them, I hope you get something sorted soon.

Davros Mon 23-May-05 14:44:55

Contact PAPA in NI, prob get info via PARIS on the NAS website.

Cosmo74 Mon 23-May-05 14:52:09

JakeJem - I too am from N. Ireland - we have requested an assessment through the school and GP for DS but have been told by Gp it could take up to a year - I phoned to see where he was on the list to be told that the community paed. who he has been referred to left and there is no replacement yet so we are still waiting - I asked about going private and both school and GP told me that no-one does private work in N. Ireland cause there isn't that many community paediatrician that work in N. Ireland - I contacted PAPA today and have to phone them back on Thursday to get more info. Sorry I cannot help you but if you find anymore info. please let me know.

BTW - My son has concentration/attention problems which are now starting to affect him at school.

If you don't mind me asking where about in N.Ireland are you from?

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 15:23:24

Message withdrawn

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 15:54:22

Message withdrawn

Cosmo74 Mon 23-May-05 16:16:15

Bethron

No further on with the assessement - don't know if you seen my other thread about my DS not allowed to go on school trip - this sparked off hubby to start complaining to school - who have now told us that there was a fast track way we could have got sorted - we are waiting for a meeting with the head, teacher, SENCO and someone from the behavioural management team to try and sort something out - I also have been on to PAPA and am going to join a support group to see if there is anything else we can do in the meantime.

Hope all is going well with you. Thanks for thinking about me.

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 16:41:30

Message withdrawn

JAKEJEM Mon 23-May-05 20:18:26

Hi, and thanks for all your messages, have only just managed to log on now. We are in Crumlin, have tried phoning NAS/PAPPA/PARIS etc but they jsut don't know anyone out here that does private work in the sensory/autism field. I think the worst bit is just not having a diagnosis. Thanks for your help anyway guys! Life is just one long waiting game!

Davros Mon 23-May-05 21:25:52

What about coming to see someone somewhere in the rest of the UK? Not easy I know but might be worth considering.

JAKEJEM Mon 23-May-05 21:29:24

Hi Davros, we have considered travelling to the mainland as we are orignally from there (over in NI as hubby in Military) but GP/Health Visitor says by the time we have seen all we need to see for diagnosis (OT, speech therapist, food therpaist, etc, ) we will probably have an appt over here at the CDC. GP says it looks like a classic case of autism

Bethron Mon 23-May-05 22:05:53

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now