Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What would you need from a holiday let?

(18 Posts)
r3dh3d Sat 25-Jul-09 09:12:53

Because it's so soddin' difficult to take DD1 on hols anywhere, we're looking at buying a little holiday cottage that we can make safe for her. It won't be "adapted", but there will be no ornaments and no table lamps (outside of the adults bedroom) there will be a stair gate across the kitchen area and the pictures will be screwed to the walls. It's a 2-bed bungalow with level access from the parking area.

We were thinking of renting it out for chunks of the time. As part of that, you're supposed to do an "access" statement though of course by "access" they mean "wheelchair access" rather than "suitability for all sorts of disabilities" hmm. Given how very diverse the needs of children with disabilities are, I was wondering, is there any point in putting the stuff we would do for DD's learning disability into that statement? Or even to make a few more changes and market it towards that group?

So... what would you need in a holiday let, in order to have a reasonably relaxed holiday - and retain your deposit! grin

Phoenix4725 Sat 25-Jul-09 10:13:48

secure garden would be a must ,cupboards with locks in teh kitchen maybe hmm rather than stair gate what about using Dog gate they tend to be higher.good locks on the doors and windows to stop escapees;tolerant neighbours

List of disabled friendly places to visit

Sofa bed in the lounge so could sleep up to six in case anyone needed bring a carer or like me have bigger than 2+2family,

and nosey question where abouts you thinking of

Woooozle100 Sat 25-Jul-09 10:28:34

sounds great r3dh3d - have you found somewhere you want to buy?

Made me think - maybe we could do a mn sn adapted house swaps for hols. Bet you'd all be biting me hand off for holiday in birmingham grin Great beach!

Phoenix4725 Sat 25-Jul-09 10:48:42

I has family in Birmingham , can do chips and ice creams when lived up in Stourport we used to refer tourists as chip eaters.
grin

would not be a bad idealeast might get neigjbours used to noises ds is a squealer

monstermansmum Sat 25-Jul-09 11:33:54

dog gates
automatic gates for stairs
door locks, fridge locks, window locks etc
high sided bed-NOWHERE has one
plastic plates & glasses for family use but real ones available
secure garden
locks on bathroom doors
anti-scald taps or tap locks
carers bed in disabled bedroom
level access
garden play eqpt suitable for most diabilities
a few more locks-everywhere!!!!!

We were also thinking of doing this as we cant find suitable places to go on holiday. Caerwen (Harriet Davies Trust) is a good eample except they dont have a high sided bed. Everything else we could have manged with. They did need window locks, especially as the house is aimed at families with autism or challenging behaviour. let me when and where-we'll definitely book with you!!

busybeingmum Sat 25-Jul-09 11:37:27

Message withdrawn

swineofthetimes Sat 25-Jul-09 12:20:58

Sounds a great idea r3dh3d. We've thought of doing similar, but haven't quite summoned up the balls to do it.

Space to manouevre a wheelchair easily. We're looking to move anyway, and you'd be surprised at the number of properties that have tight angles in the hall/ doorway to get around.

Another vote for a high sided bed. I'd also really value a foldable hoist (Fledgelings sell them); that way you don't have to have a permanent adaptation done, or a whopping great hoist sitting in the corner of the sitting room.

If you put in a highchair a really supportive Chicco one would be better than something like a Tripp Trapp. I know the TT is more stylish, but absolutely sod all use for a baby/ toddler with tone problems.

Bathroom would ideally need to be large, or alternatively a wet room.

A really good, reliable washing machine.

Good luck with it all - it sounds very exciting.

glitteryb6 Sat 25-Jul-09 12:40:50

i'd love somewhere with a wetroom with a child sized showerchair!
we have looked at various properties abroad for next years holiday, mostly in Spain but anywhere that hires disabled equipment its all adult sized stuff.
just now we holiday in UK and take ds's bath seat with us but it will be a problem for the future

busybeingmum Sat 25-Jul-09 17:49:39

Message withdrawn

r3dh3d Sat 25-Jul-09 21:02:58

Well, I don't think I can do all that, lol. But all comments really helpful. smile I'm going up there with DD2 in a couple of weeks to check it out, measure up etc. We're hoping to exchange in about 6 weeks. But from what I know (am buying with my parents and they've seen it, not me) we couldn't easily do a wetroom for instance. But things like locks, yes of course. I guess the thing to do is do all the stuff we can put in easily and then see what enquiries we get if we advertise those facilities and whether there are some requests for extra features that come up more often than others.

Pixie, it's on Anglesey - North Wales. Land of my fathers and all that. grin

MMM re: the "high sided bed" ... err... how robust/secure does this have to be? Because I will have to make one for DD1. (we've just got a proper one from OT costing thousands and they're not going to supply another one for a letting property!) But it will basically be a bunk bed with homemade net and canvas sides. So if the occupant got The Rage or was a very strong Houdini, it wouldn't last 5 minutes. It would contain DD1 just fine because she just wanders out absent-mindedly and can't find her way back in - different thing.

Does anyone else need all the internal doors to lock? Or is that just my personal obsession? blush

monstermansmum Sat 25-Jul-09 21:22:03

locks ,locks and more locks please-everywhere.

net sides and canvashmm LOL. I do know someone who may be able to help you modify bunkbeds or possibly build something if you wanted, but not sure if this would be acceptable to the powers that be....?

Would be VERY interested once you get things organised.

l

swineofthetimes Sat 25-Jul-09 21:26:31

Fledglings do a high-sided bed called Zac's bed which is £1K (dd has one and it's great). Not cheap - but maybe an option.

It sounds great. I love Anglesey, so please keep us posted if/when you're thinking of letting it .

5inthebed Sat 25-Jul-09 21:39:06

Definitely a secure garden! That would be great.

Bathroom with a bath (especially as DS2 hates showers).

Washing machine and microwave.

Decent size freezer to stock up on foods dc will eat.

Bedguard for bed.

Lamp or dimmer switch in bedroom.

monstermansmum Sat 25-Jul-09 21:55:58

zacs bed is great but too small for us personally-a cage would be a good idea and ds would probably love it grin but its not very pc hmm The higher/more robust the better for us. He's only 7, got no idea what we are going to do when hes 10 or 15+ sad. Def. a secure garden, washing machine, etc.

busybeingmum Sat 25-Jul-09 22:56:24

Message withdrawn

busybeingmum Sat 25-Jul-09 23:05:31

Message withdrawn

donkeyderby Sat 25-Jul-09 23:40:11

I was going to say not in Wales...! I can never find anything near the S.E. and we find travelling difficult and wouldn't go to Cerebra or Harriet's house for that reason. Never mind! If we were to go.....

A bed on the floor as an alternative to high-sided bed (Ds1 climbs and low sides are more dangerous than no side at all).
TV/DVD in bedroom
Secure garden a must - high fence for teenager
No lamps - dimmer switches. No light switches near bed
Strong bolt on bedroom door a must + window locks
Camping in garden permitted or bigger families won't fit
No carpets - washable rugs
Handrail on stairs

Maybe you should make it perfect for you and just advertise it as it is. You can't cater for everyone's needs. Best of luck!

Phoenix4725 Sun 26-Jul-09 05:44:04

please let us know would deefintley be intrested, everone has mentioned washing machiens but since this uk tumble dryer to please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now