Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.


(6 Posts)
MuffinToptheMule Fri 24-Jul-09 17:31:23

I haven't spoken to you before but I've read many of your posts and I was wondering if you could give me some advice?
I've just graduated from university where I was studying anthropology and linguistics. I hope to go back to university next year in order to get some sort of postgraduate in Speech and Language Therapy. The course I want to do is at Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh and it is a post graduate diploma. The course requires a good undergraduate degree, which I have. It also requires that you have experience of working with 'people with speech or communication impairment.'
I have just secured a part time job to work with an autistic boy on a programme which will be set up by an autism specialist. This is to aid the child's communication, language and play skills. I also have a job interview next week to be an ABA tutor for a young boy with autism. (I'm very excited about this as I think ABA is amazing)
Do you think this is good experience for the course? Do you think I need to do other things also which aren't focussed purely on autism? Does it matter which university you go to? Which university is the best for this course? Is there a big difference in terms of job security whether you have a graduate diploma or an Msc? Also, I don't have any biology qualifications, not even GCSE.
Sorry for the list of questions and don't worry if you can't answer them. Also, thanks in advance

MuffinToptheMule Fri 24-Jul-09 17:40:07

I just thought that there are probably other SALTs on MN. If so and you feel like helping me, PLEASE do. Every comment, criticism or piece of advise is welcome. smile

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 00:25:57

Hi Muffin.
Everything you are doing sounds really great.
The course content is very tightly controlled by RCSLT so will be good wherever you go (I went to City in London as a p/g.My ffirst degree was in French/Linguistics.)

Being an S/Lt is a brilliant job.I love it and look forward to gonig to work every single day. Traditionally there have always been plenty of jobs about but lots of Trust freezing their budgets these days and not filling vacancies. Even so, better job opps. in S/Lt than in most professions (lots of overseas work too).

I also think ABA is amazing and am near completion of my MSc in ABA. Many SALTs misunderstand ABA though and one of my professional missions is to address that misunderstanding.

If you can manage it, some experience at a stroke club or with kids with general SN (playgroups, or summer schemes or volunteering) would be worthwhile. ABA not appropriate for all communication disorders so this would be a way of looking at other stuff.

Best of luck-post again if you need more specific guidance.

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 00:27:29

Whether you get PG diploma or MSc, you will still come out with a license to practice as an S/LT so doesn't make much difference. Biology qualifications are useful, but not essential.

MuffinToptheMule Sat 25-Jul-09 11:08:21

Thanks very much for your reply. I will look for some work experience at stroke clubs. If I get the job I am going for then I'll be working fulltime so it could be hard to fit in SN playgroups. I'm sure I'll be back again soon with more questions. Thanks again.

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 16:01:30

A pleasure!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: