Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

statements and speech

(5 Posts)
Phoenix4725 Fri 24-Jul-09 09:23:55

We have got ds final statement and im happy with the hrs hes got f/t including lunch and breaks though lunch break is shared with another little girl but am happy with that

All staff are undergoing makton training including dinner and office staff .

But what i am unappy about is that there is only one visit a term by salt and that it states ds will need to do a program
twice aweek with suitably trained membr of staff.

This was what the satl asked for but to me it does not seem enough for a non verbal child ,ds has verbal and oral dyspraxia as well as GDD and struggles make much mor ethan arrr and oo sounds what should I really be aiming for

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 24-Jul-09 10:35:24

Is SALT written into Part 2 of the Statement; if not it should be there as well as in Part 3.

One visit per term by a SALT is certainly not enough. You're going to have to challenge them on this issue otherwise it won't change.

Would speak to IPSEA and or SOS;SEN about this particular aspect. LEA's are pretty much dire when it comes to SALT provision.

Phoenix4725 Fri 24-Jul-09 10:46:21

yes salt is in parts 2 and 3 .Trouble is its ds salt that has put in one visit per term in her reports .and Lea have gone with this even though i really dont feel its enough ,wondering If im going need to go get independant saltto see ds and to do a report

Have just phoned salt and asked about pathways for verbal dyspraxia and it seems it is still one visit per term not nessecary even seeing ds could be just to discuss the program .

vjg13 Fri 24-Jul-09 11:54:20

You could send a letter of complaint to the head service/ chief exec of the trust and state you consider it insufficient. This route got my daughter's visits by SALT at the level of once each half term.

Ultimately to get her the 2 visits a week she really needs(1 to 1 and in a group) we had to get an independent report and the LEA put this in her statement because we were sending her to a non-maintained school outside of the LEA.

Phoenix4725 Fri 24-Jul-09 19:32:07

hmm am thinking that might be good idea to do for statement review thank you Vjg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now