Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dear god. The final adaptations bill.

(30 Posts)
sarah293 Thu 23-Jul-09 19:00:25

Message withdrawn

lucymum2four Thu 23-Jul-09 19:28:23

Someone told me once that you can choose to appeal a grant, and most of the time they will up it. Not sure how much though? Sorry

lou031205 Thu 23-Jul-09 19:30:36

That's crazy! Do they itemise it?

Phoenix4725 Thu 23-Jul-09 19:30:54

omg Riven is there no way ss will stump up more ?

sarah293 Thu 23-Jul-09 19:42:42

Message withdrawn

MatNanPlus Thu 23-Jul-09 20:13:28

Riven who was in charge of the project?

Ordering supplies, keeping an eye on the man hours?

glitteryb6 Thu 23-Jul-09 20:36:01

think its worth appealing given the circumstances

found this on the website...

Maximum grant amount
The maximum amount of grant that a council is required to pay is £25,000 in Northern Ireland, £30,000 in England and £36,000 in Wales per application less any assessed contribution from you.
If the cost of the eligible works is more, the council can use discretionary powers to increase the amount.

HelensMelons Thu 23-Jul-09 20:38:54

Riven, that's appalling.

Don't give up, he who shouts loudest and all that.


TotalChaos Thu 23-Jul-09 20:39:13

oh shit. hope appealing can sort this.

r3dh3d Thu 23-Jul-09 20:50:15

Oh jeez Riv, you don't need this.

Who was managing the project?

It's just a common sense view (for what little that's worth hmm) but if SS were running the project - ie choosing the contractors, signing off the plans, controlling the budget - then it was their responsibility to keep the contractors on budget and any costs due to overrun is for them and the contractors to fight out. Their contract should cover this and if it doesn't - well you didn't write the contract. They did. As long as the specs haven't changed, it's not your fault and you shouldn't be liable. If you have been agreeing to changes onsite, especially in the kitchen part "ah well, darlin' we'll have to use a solid gold plumb-it joint here because we've run out of skyhooks" then you may be a bit more stuck.

Have you called CAB? Threatened the builders with Trading Standards? Booked an appointment with your MP? There must be a way out of this.

monstermansmum Thu 23-Jul-09 23:33:05

Thats a HUGE amount-wow!!angry Sorry your having to deal with this as well as everything else. This is where I sound a bit thick..blush..They did away with means testing/contributing for childrens adaptations a couple of years ago didnt they?? I understand you having to pay SOMETHING for the new kitchen perhaps (even if I dont agree with it)as you MAY have a choice of what went into the kitchen, eg cheap v expensive units/worktops etc, but the amount they have come up with is ludicrous!!!!!shock Whay are they saying that you have to pay this? The grant is worth £30k and your contribution is £50k =£80k for a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen! Must be some bedroom!shock I'd want a house for that! Hope you get it sorted soon x

saintlydamemrsturnip Fri 24-Jul-09 07:07:54

Complain to everyone. Put in an offficial complaint (you can usually do it via the council website- which kicks in a time limit). Complain to govt ombudsmen.

Consider going to the press.

I had to put in an official complaint to get the council to agree to our DFG (which was well below the £25 grand- they still tried it on)

Frasersmum123 Fri 24-Jul-09 07:33:25


I agree with Mrs T, I would complain to everyone and get in touch with your local newspaper, the sympathy vote will be high and it might force SS's hand.

Its absolutely awful they are putting you through this to add to a big list of your worries.

sarah293 Fri 24-Jul-09 08:07:11

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 24-Jul-09 08:12:46

Message withdrawn

FioFio Fri 24-Jul-09 08:20:55

Message withdrawn

Frasersmum123 Fri 24-Jul-09 08:25:29

Can I ask what woud happen if you didnt pay it?

sarah293 Fri 24-Jul-09 08:47:10

Message withdrawn

Frasersmum123 Fri 24-Jul-09 08:58:56

I see - sorry, I though the debt was to SS.

donkeyderby Fri 24-Jul-09 09:36:25

I was talking to a parent this week who had a £50k bill for DFG and they didn't pay for any of it but have £20k as a loan against the house. It's not ideal, but if you don't move for ages, it may be an option if they will up the loan element...?

How can you be expected to have budgeted for building works when you didn't know the price in advance? Most DFG builders seem to put in a low quote to get the job then double it cos they think the council is paying, which is completely shit. SS should be chosing builders who quote the full price up-front and only work on one job at a time. Agreed about complaining - especially to the press - and kicking up a real stink, but so exhausting, I know. Or try a charity for the rest of the money. Get the Rotary Club on your side?

Woooozle100 Fri 24-Jul-09 10:11:08

what an arse

can't see how they can just spring it on you like that. dear lord. Makes my project management skills look good

Appeal..shout.. do you have a local disability advice place / carers centre that can back you up / fight yr corner a bit? Maybe worst case they could apply to charities for you (tis so time consuming / soul destroying all the forms innit?)

Sorry you have this stress. Bastards. Our relocation grant has been whittled down to 6 grand now angry

hippipotamiHasLost49lbs Fri 24-Jul-09 10:18:50

Bloody hell Riven, my head is spinning. I just cannot get over the incompetency (is that even a word) of the SS. The way I see it, you need a good lawyer. Is there anyone on MN who would be able to take this on for you for free? I would if I could.
Basically, SS insisted on teh wall being moved 6 inches. That would have contributed to the cost. Therefore SS are liable for the extra cost.
This needs to be fought otherwise they will do it to other families just like they have done to you.
I really really wish there was something we could do.

sc13 Fri 24-Jul-09 10:19:14

I'd seek legal advice on this from the Citizens Advice Bureau. How much over their original budget did they go? They can't just turn around and say, by the way, that's almost double what we said, now pay up. Can they?

hippipotamiHasLost49lbs Fri 24-Jul-09 10:29:48

I agree with sc. The only way you should be liable is if you were in charge of the project. Absolutely outrageous. My blood is boiling on your behalf.

monstermansmum Fri 24-Jul-09 10:34:25

can I just ask-are these extra bills on top of the dfg only for homeowners? We are due to be having work done in Sept-thats when the surveyor is now coming out, should have been April but then he isnt the one carrying DS up and down stairs hmm At the mo the house is owned by the council but we are hoping to buy it asap?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: