Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Seeing CAMHS in August - bit scared!

(2 Posts)
debs40 Wed 22-Jul-09 19:50:08

We are awaiting assessments on DS1 for possible SCD/ASD.

Our community paed has fast-tracked us to CAMHS as DS (6) was really struggling to get to grips with change at the end of the school year and was finding the lack of structure etc hard.

We are seeing the psychiatrist and 'someone else'. Is it me, or do you feel a bit self-conscious going to speak to someone like this about your child?

I suppose I worry that someone is going to try and shift the blame on to me as his mum. There seems to be a bit of a backlash against people 'using' labels to hide 'bad' behaviour.

It's not that I even think of his behaviour as bad. He is such a sweet, good boy but he gets so stressed about things like the right socks, who he sits next to in class and is so gullible. He just really struggles with the whole soical communication side of things.

Tell me I'm doing the right thing by surrendering DS to these peeps!

uddy Wed 22-Jul-09 22:14:27

you are doing the right thing my ds is under CAMHS at the moment they dont judge you at all. Be glad they are seeing him now my ds is now 9 and ive been waiting for years to get to CAMHS its better to get it now rather than later its a slow process.But be blunt and honest about his problems else ds may get sent away with no help.good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now