Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Request for Statement application: Shall I write my wish list?

(14 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Wed 22-Jul-09 08:44:22

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Wed 22-Jul-09 10:41:29

Starlight, I've answered your other thread, but I would say (disclaimer: in no way qualified, or experienced other than that DD is in preschool with 1:1) you need to balance evidence based intervention with other things.

For example, consider the preschool day and think about what your DS would struggle with/what would make it easier.

On your other thread I gave a few things that help/would help DD - some idea starters. Hope they help.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 22-Jul-09 10:48:14

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Wed 22-Jul-09 14:05:14

I think so. But obviously no experience of statementing formats.

wrinklytum Thu 23-Jul-09 21:28:31

Hi Starlight

My portage worker gave me a very fab "Generic letter" to copy to send to Lea to request a statement,is a s follows

"Dear Sir/madam,

I am writing to request a statutory assessment of xxxs special educational needs under section 323 of the 1996 Education Act.

I am making this request because (note dx or problems)which will have an impact on his/her ability to access pre school/school provision and make adequate progress.

Professionals currently involved with xxx
(List all)

I understand you have six weeks from the date you receive this letter to make your decision whether to proceed with the statutory assessment.

I look forward to hearing from you

Yours Faithfully,xxx.

Obviously dd has been in the system and seen by loads of people so am unsure how this is comparative with you.HTH.

PS,my ds is a Ross,good name choice

wrinklytum Thu 23-Jul-09 21:35:52

i also included reports from portage/salt/physio/nursery etc etc.

moondog Fri 24-Jul-09 08:06:12

Re what Lou says here:

Starlight, I've answered your other thread, but I would say (disclaimer: in no way qualified, or experienced other than that DD is in preschool with 1:1) you need to balance evidence based intervention with other things.

I disagree. What is more important than evidence based practice???

The things you mention Star, are great but they can be sorted at a later date. Plus, noone will take issue with these hints and tips so you don't need to worry overly about getting them into a legal document. Get the framework right (and keep statement as concise and watertight as possible) and the rest will follow.

Great list btw. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 25-Jul-09 11:13:56

Message withdrawn

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 16:05:25

Open door policy very good.
I would push for formal Makaton training and refreshers and visits from Makaotn trainer (say 1 a year).

Yes, they generally refuse all statement requests initially. Standard practice to sort the ones that give up at the first hurdle from the parents who won't take any crap or be fobbed off by officialdom.

Remmeber: everything is possible.
You should see some of the statements I've seen!

WetAugust Sat 25-Jul-09 16:22:43

The problem with having a wish list is that you are pre-empting the Statementing process. The whole purpose of the process is to fully identify the child's problems. You may think that you know them all at this stage and so can be confident in what you think he needs to overcome them but you may find the problems are actually greater / fewer than you've noted to date.

The other problem with writing a wish list at this stage is that the LEA is going to see a very large bill emrging if it has to provode the support you've listed - which could (stressing teh word 'could') make them less likely to agree to assess (in teh hope that you'll accept their refusal).

Having said that, if you think he needs the helpp in teh wish list then press for it and don't take the LEA's (possible) 'No' for an answer.

If you consider the LEA to be the most cynical, self-servng, untrustworthy organistation that you've ever dealt with - you won't be far wrong.
Best wishes

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 16:26:35

I disagree,better to be clear from the start, show them you know your child and have researched what is routinely available, compared it to what you want, and found it wanting.

LEAs aren't bad. They are just overworked and will never see your child as anything more than a number to process.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 25-Jul-09 21:50:30

Message withdrawn

WetAugust Sun 26-Jul-09 00:26:10

Go for it Starlight! grin I took the same approach of learning as much as I could about ASD and finding strategies that help.

Your healthy scepticism with regards to the LEA will serve you well. wink

Best wishes

moondog Sun 26-Jul-09 16:52:36

Brilliantly put Starlight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now