Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do you think the school were being a tad insensitive...

(7 Posts)
ChopsTheDuck Tue 21-Jul-09 12:09:47

This is bugging me, and I can't decide if I've being oversensitive or not, but I think the school were rather insensitive.

Year 2 at ds1's school had their leaver's assembly today. Basically it was a play about saving the environment, particularly with regards to walkign to school as opposed to driving.

The children sang songs in small groups. ds1 was in the group that sang..

#we can walk to school# (er no we can't, the GP has categorically stated it is too far for him)
#we can skip to school# (not with HMS and lack of bilateral control we can't!)
#we can cycle to school# (nope, can't ride a bike, despite being desperate to do so) sad
#we can scooter to school# (ditto)

The teacher is fully aware he can't do any of the above, and I really think he could have been given a different role! Perhaps #we can be pushed to school in our wheelchair# winkgrin

2shoes Tue 21-Jul-09 12:30:23

yanbu
why could there have been a line about something he could do

BriocheDoree Tue 21-Jul-09 12:30:45

I expect it didn't even cross their minds, Chops, but I can see why it would bug you!!

cyberseraphim Tue 21-Jul-09 13:20:05

I don't think it would even have occured to them either. I hate it when children's activities advertise saying 'All welcome' when it's not true - but again it just does not occur to them that all has a wider meaning.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 21-Jul-09 13:56:46

I guess it can't have occured to them, really. But considering they've had to push him around in a chair, I am surprised no one didn't think before getting him to do that song and cycling/scooting actions etc!

I stood there watching him colliding with everyone trying to do the actions and feeling a bit sad and cross for him, cos he CAN'T do those things he was singing about!

ChopsTheDuck Tue 21-Jul-09 13:57:56

when I see 'All Welcome' I get itches to turn up with ds and see jsut how they do include him. grin

cyberseraphim Tue 21-Jul-09 15:23:17

I see what you mean ! I did not realise they actually meant he should sing the song - I read your OP wrongly and thought he would be in the audience. I think they are taking stupidity a bit far....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now