Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

If your child has AS/ASD, when and how did you tell them?....

(5 Posts)
siblingrivalry Mon 20-Jul-09 22:40:58

...or have you told him/her?

DD1 got her dx quite recently, but we haven't told her yet. To be honest, I haven't got a clue how to do it in the 'best' way IYKWIM.

Also, I don't know if she is old enough yet (8)

My main concern is that her self-esteem is really low at the moment and she keeps talking about how much she hates feeling different (mostly linked to her sensory issues and anxieties)I don't want to do anything that will reinforce her poor self-image, but I know that she needs to be aware of her AS.

I would be really grateful for any advice or opinions -I must admit to be completely lost on this one!
Many thanks.

hereidrawtheline Mon 20-Jul-09 22:49:44

I dont know but have wondered this myself. DS is only 3 (in 2 weeks) but he understands everything that is said and can say anything he likes as well (if he chooses) so I usually explain things to him honestly but totally age appropriately. Have been wondering if it would help him as he really loves to have a reason for everything.

darcireece Mon 20-Jul-09 22:50:43

my ds was dx in june with adhd he is 6 i told him all along through his assesments why he was there but when he was dx i told him he was specially different

streakybacon Tue 21-Jul-09 07:54:42

Hi Sibs!

Have you seen Jude Welton's book 'Can Tell You About Asperger Syndrome'? I used it with ds to an extent and it can be very helpful in explaining that the problems the child has have a name and that they're not alone. Other than that I pretty much explained things as we went along, mostly during the assessment process so he knew why he had to go through endless appointments and meetings.

J is on summer scheme week after next - I'll phone you and we can talk about it if you like?

siblingrivalry Tue 21-Jul-09 08:22:28

Thanks,streaky, that would be great. I don't want to make a mess of it - it's such a big thing.
Speak soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now