Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Social and communication difficulties and ASD

(5 Posts)
debs40 Mon 20-Jul-09 15:48:03

Hi

Can someone explain the link between these two? Are ASDs social and communication disorders or are social and communication disorders one aspect of Asds iykwim?

ChopsTheDuck Mon 20-Jul-09 16:27:29

Interesting question.

ime social and communication disorder is often used where they don't want to dx austism/aspergers. ds1 has it on his file, beacuse the paed suspected autism but was taking a wait and see approach until he got older. (personally I usually think his autistic traits are due to dyspraxia until he goes in what we call full blow autistic mode for a few days and shuts down completely, then I start dithering again!).

I'd have said an ASD is a social and communication disorder imho.

juliaw Mon 20-Jul-09 20:22:40

I think the terms are often used interchangeably. However I think other conditions can lead to social and communication problems eg children with hearing problems and specific language problems can show social and communication problems similar to autism but tend not to have the third triad of rigid / repetitive behaviour. But I think if they use the word disorder they really mean ASD. Round here they have started used ASC (condition) rather than ASD just to complicate things.

Nyrrem Mon 20-Jul-09 20:42:04

Hi Debs40.

I think it varies a lot depending on where you are and the views of your paed.

My ds has a written dx of social communication difficulties and the paed stated quite openly to us that it was an iterim diagnosis and that they would wait til he was 7 and then decide whether or not he has Aspergers. Subsequently, she hasn't quite given a verbal dx of Aspergers/ASD, but near enough, so we wait...

debs40 Mon 20-Jul-09 21:12:46

Thanks. We are awaiting alsorts of assessments but the community paediatrician, in order to assist us with school, confirmed that she thought he has SCD of some sort.

I had a look through the stuff our LA has on the net and it appears you're right - it seems to be used as a sort of interim diagnosis to get help while you're waiting for a full diagnosis.

Thanks knowledgeable ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now