Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT help....

(9 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Sat 18-Jul-09 14:33:21

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 18-Jul-09 14:34:37

Message withdrawn

vjg13 Sat 18-Jul-09 15:21:43

I would get in touch as soon as possible and explain that you can't attend all the sessions but can you be booked on the next group of sessions.

We have had this type of letter for a saturday SALT clinic which is in blocks of 4 with the same 'threats' on.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 18-Jul-09 15:51:10

Message withdrawn

moondog Sat 18-Jul-09 17:32:43

Ring and say you can't come to some as you wil be away.Ask to be put down for the next lot and ask them to note on your file that you have phoned to inform them.

I think it is important to make every effort to attend stuff even if it is not your cup of tea as then you a.) come across as an involved parent and b.) you can politely raise issues with them.

If you just don't turn up and don;t say anything, how are they to know what the reasons are? Keep lines of communication open at all times.

SALTs can't win to be honest.If they offern othing over holidays, people moan about them wasting time and if they do, people (not you lot I know) moand about them intefering with holidays.

There you go-a spirited defence of my profession for once!

TotalChaos Sat 18-Jul-09 23:36:40

agree with everyone else, have been in a similar position re:group SALT. phone back and let them know that you can't do all the sessions. when this happened last summer, I didn't get them to book me on the next set, I just turned up to the sessions I could make iyswim, so went to 4 or 5 out of 6. Agree with Moondog about turning up even if you are sceptical - as you are in a better position to say something was unsuitable if you have turned up to it, and yes, it was unsuitable, than if you haven't fancied it from the description.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 19-Jul-09 01:58:27

Message withdrawn

moondog Sun 19-Jul-09 07:27:54

Hope it's useful Star. smile

IO don't know if you saw the following terrific comment about SALT and ABA from MrsBear-SALT now but she used to be an ABA terapist. I agree with everything she says.

I'm an NHS SALT and services in the public sector are minimal, it's true.. I work with kids with autism and most of the resources are ploughed into the diagnostic end, with limited/non-existent therapeutic input. That's unfortunately the case for most communication disorders. Even with our limited service, we are seen by the NHS as an 'expensive' service as typically our appointment times are long (an hour) and a full, proper assessment and therapy just takes hours and hours and hours, and we don't have the capacity. I work in a busy city and there isn't ONE full-time post to cover a city sized population (currently .9) I wish it weren't so, but it is. My work is mainly in diagnosis of over-5's and while I can do a thorough job BEFORE/DURING the diagnostic bit (3-4 sessions, more if needed, plus multidisciplinary sessions and discussions) I am allowed to provide minimal follow-up. We fight but we get nowhere. Don't think we're not frustrated too!

HOWEVER..

I was also an ABA therapist, in my former life. I worked for a major consultancy carrying out home programmes. I miss it, but as I got to the age of needing kids of my own, I needed more security in my life than an hourly wage with no benefits could offer.

I think if you can get a good SALT who has a bit of knowledge of behaviour and isn't suspicious of ABA, we are a valuable profession who can assess and benchmark language and communication skills and add value to your team. The ABA team can 'operationalise' targets that an SLT gives a different perspective on.. I don't think I would use an SLT in the early stages of an ABA programme or that I would use one to offer therapy.. but someone who tweaks programmes to address more advanced language skills is good. I find that more advanced ABA programmes struggle with more advanced language and a good, experienced SLT (not just someone in community clinic, but someone who has given regular input to kids) can be very helpful.

We're clearly no substitute, but then it's a given that something that has pennies thrown at it (only 45 minutes allowed per child per half-term) is not going to be comparable to a grade-A ABA programme. Kids with ASD need that intensity and the public service doesn't provide it. Our services are continually cut, even though by international standards they are absolutely paltry. I'm lucky - I can stand my job because I work in a language unit and get to offer regular ongoing input but SALT isn't a rubbish profession, it's just the provision offered publicly is not often up to standard (through no fault, really, of the professionals themselves)

Phoenix4725 Sun 19-Jul-09 07:39:57

yep ds salt is frustrated that she cant offer more regular salt to my non verbal ds but powes that be demand kids are seen of waiting lists with minor problems rather than ds with verbal and oral dyspraxia its all about numbers by the powers above

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now