Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

your valued advice again please!

(6 Posts)
anniebear Fri 20-May-05 07:49:56

A lot of times when we come into the house with Ellie, she totally kicks off.

I really feel at the end of my tether with her and yesterday was close to opening the front door and pushing her out (well, felt like it anyway!)

She will be fine at pre school, we could call at my Mums,fine, then as soon as we walk through our door she goes off on one. Screaming, shouting and has started to hit me.

Sometimes she may be tired, I know, but her behaviour is still extreme.

I have tried when we come in to not rush off doing stuff, sometimes it will be tea time so I go off into the kitchen. Thought maybe when she comes home she may need me to sit with her for a bit, but the other day she kicked off as soon as we come through the front door, so I was still standing by her.

Don't understand why?

Any advice or suggestions please?

Thank you xxx

Evesmama Fri 20-May-05 08:33:44

cant give any nowledgable advice...
but ..
could you comeinto the house via the back door?
tell her 'the first one'..to get their shoes off/get toys out/put dvd on(so you can get on with tea) gets a prize(sticker/balloonetc)

sorry they may sound lame, just didnt want you to think no one was listening

Potty1 Fri 20-May-05 08:44:05

anniebear - No help here and no answers maybe it is just that home is the place where she feels comfortable enough to kick off and let rip?

Things sound tough for you at the moment.

JakB Fri 20-May-05 09:52:45

Ah, bless her (and you). DD often revs up when we get home (It think with her she doesn't know what's going to happen- and wonders if she's going to get food!). What works for her is playing a familiar song when we get in that she really likes. This seems to immediately relax her. Would something like this work for your DD? Is there a place she can 'let off steam'? DD has a 20 minute session in her room to do this if she needs it.

Davros Fri 20-May-05 10:17:34

Hi Annie, answered this a bit on the other thread. Agree with JakB about some music or other familiar things and was wondering about a very simple visual timetable for coming home. Also asked about communiction strategies on the other thread, has anyone introduced PECs/signing and, if not, can it be done. "Challenging Behaviour", as it is commonly known, is very much related to communication so even a simple few pix might help, plus having some idea of what is happening, even just the first few minutes to break the pattern.

anniebear Fri 20-May-05 10:44:23

Thanks everyone!

I sound like a complete moan!! But it was early in the morning that I posted, and after the night we had I needed to tell sombody!!!

I am sure, a lot of the time a fave DVD will keep her quiet and I do this, but don't like to put a dvd on all the time. Sometimes Grace is playing a lovely game and I know if the tv goes on she will be glued

Supose I have to find the right balance

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: