Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How can I find out my legal rights?

(10 Posts)
cktwo Thu 16-Jul-09 18:44:26

Our hometown audiology department was rubbish, failing to spot DD1's glue ear after nearly three years of testing so we got a referal to another department outside our area. They have been fab, diagnosing DD1'a underlying deafness. Until now.

The audiology department is refusing to give DD1 hearing aids. They first said it was because of funding - our GP agreed to fund it. Then they said it was because we needed to access the hearing impairment team locally - our SALT had already referred us so no problems there. Now they are point blank refusing.

So where do I stand? Can they legally refuse to fit a deaf girl hearing aids?
We are still been treated by the ENT consultant out of the area so why won't they see us too?

cktwo Thu 16-Jul-09 20:29:34

bump

WetAugust Fri 17-Jul-09 23:19:51

Complain.

Complain to the Chief exec of the NHS Trust and also to your local MP.

Making a fuss is the only way to get action. - unforunately

cktwo Sat 18-Jul-09 09:03:49

I'm slowly coming to that conclusion. I was that f*cked off last night I emailed my MP and the chappy in charge of Health. I have also printed off from the hospital website all this bullshit about choice and quality of care and am poised to spout it back to them in a snotty letter.

vjg13 Sat 18-Jul-09 10:37:00

Do a formal complaint to the chief exec and a copy to the head of audiology. It will then follow a set time frame and you should get some answers.

jemmm Sat 18-Jul-09 10:44:19

Hospital refusing to fit deaf girl with hearing aid - sounds like the kind of headline your local paper might be very interested in.

Might be worth keeping that one in reserve, whilst making sure that the Hopsital are aware that it's something you are considering.

cktwo Sat 18-Jul-09 14:37:23

LOL jemmm. My husband works for the local paper smile.
That's my plan b but I'd rather not go there unless absolutely necessary.

Deeeja Mon 20-Jul-09 00:12:06

Get in touch with a tory mp, might be just the ticket in the current climate....

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 20-Jul-09 11:14:47

Message withdrawn

cktwo Mon 20-Jul-09 19:38:15

Journalists ARE lazy smile

I have been fobbed off again by the head of audiology but the consultant said he will arrange a meeting to work out a compromise so at the mo I'm holding off the letter writing. I have emailed my MP though and shall pursue that should they ever get back to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now