Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

When/Did your ASD child crawl?

(21 Posts)
cyberseraphim Thu 16-Jul-09 12:28:28

I told an Occupational Therapist that DS1 (ASD) crawled at 7 months and she seemed surprised (in a nice way) and it reminded me of an awful SN nurse who visited us at home pre dx who took some basic details from us about his development. She asked the 'Did he crawl?' question then started to tick no before I replied shock. In the accounts I have read, the jury seems out on whether crawling or the age of crawling really is significant or not. Is there a common belief that ASD children are less likely to crawl and is it based (partly) on reality?

juliaw Thu 16-Jul-09 12:33:49

My DS crawled at 10 months, which was later than his brothers and he did not walk until 17 months. However I had no concerns about him until his speech regressed at 26 months.

bunnyrabbit Thu 16-Jul-09 12:37:12

DS1 Bum shuffled at 7.5 months, crawled at 10 months. Walked at 15 months.

Hope that's bx as DS2 only started crawling at 14 months and mostly bum shuffles.

Widemouthfrog Thu 16-Jul-09 12:37:42

Crawled at 15 months. Walked at 17 months

troutpout Thu 16-Jul-09 12:38:49

Crawled at 10 months
walked at 12 months
Is the link there because there is ofton dyspraxia present too? because the ot asked me this when ds got dx of dyspraxia.
(although that doesn't quite run true in ds's case as he met the milestones)

cyberseraphim Thu 16-Jul-09 12:39:35

That's interesting bunny - I was just wondering how they factor out all the NT children who crawl late too ?

cyberseraphim Thu 16-Jul-09 12:40:47

I feel there possibly is a link (due to dyspraxia?) but maybe only a weak one ?

bunnyrabbit Thu 16-Jul-09 12:41:51

Yes. Good point. Hoping DS2 (15m) is NT but wont really know for a while.

.....and what's the significance of bum shuffling if any..

bunnyrabbit Thu 16-Jul-09 12:43:09

or possibly hypermobility??

(DS1 has this but not dyspraxia)

siblingrivalry Thu 16-Jul-09 13:00:40

DD crawled at about 10 months, but never really seemed to be comfortable with it. She also has dyspraxia.

busybeingmum Thu 16-Jul-09 13:36:28

Message withdrawn

nicky693 Thu 16-Jul-09 13:44:38

My son didnt crawl until he was nearly 2 and then he moved onto walking quite quickly after that.

However he was climbing out of his cot at 9 months and crashing on the floor as he couldnt crawl or walk at this age. Had to invest in a grobag so he couldnt climb out any more.

This wasnt seen as a problem until later on when speech problems arose etc, just labeled as having 'special needs' from the age of 3 to 6. Then he was diagnosed with Autism and ADHD at 6. Looking back all the signs were there with severe delay but at the time health visitor just told me he was lazy.

jasdox Thu 16-Jul-09 13:50:35

commando crawled from 8 ms, using one arm, then progressed to both sides, got really quite quick, hand walking 12m walking 18m - but v. drunkenly. found out he has hypermobility. so went to pierdos, sorted. no talking though till 2y9m.

coppertop Thu 16-Jul-09 13:52:12

Ds1 (ASD) started crawling at around 7mths.

Ds2 (AS) was about 8 or 9mths.

Dd (NT) didn't crawl at all.

It all seems a bit mixed up to me. Ds1 is the one who is floppy and has problems with co-ordination. Ds2 is the one who has good co-ordination. Dd so far shows no signs at all of SN (she's 3yrs old).

mysonben Thu 16-Jul-09 14:07:46

Ds1 ,NT, crawled at about 8 months, walked at 12 m.

Ds2 (asd), crawled at 8 months , walked at 13 months.

DD ,NT , crawled at 7 months , walked at 10 months.

Pixel Thu 16-Jul-09 20:51:26

Ds was commando crawling at 5 months and proper crawling a few months after that. I'm not sure when he walked but I remember it was much later than dd. I saw him walk across a room once when he didn't realise I was in the doorway but it was months before he did it again, he preferred to go everywhere shuffling along on his knees. We knew he could walk because I'd seen him, but for some reason he refused to.

5inthebed Thu 16-Jul-09 21:12:17

DS2 crawled at 12 months and walked at 15/16 months.

jennybensmummy Thu 16-Jul-09 21:54:26

ds crawled at 12 months and walked at 20 months both after considerable work on teaching him, i truely think it would have been months later if i hadnt have pushed him like i did! diagnosed autism at 2yrs 1 month,

staryeyed Fri 17-Jul-09 13:07:25

Ds did belly crawling at 6 months adn then properly crwled before 7 months. He walked at 9 months.

Very weired because he was early with all these gross motor skills but couldnt walk up or down stairs for ages- he was well past 2 before he did it efficiently, He also couldnt climb a ladder for a slide or climbing frame until this year and hes 4 now, or get up from sitting to standing (I have heard this was a link before), he was gone 3 before he could jump, but before this he was doing forward and backward rolls and head stands against the sofa since he was about 2. Now he can not hop but can balance on a beam very well.

Such a mish mash of gross motor skills. I have no idea of the conection between the skills he is really good at and the ones he has serious problems with.

Nyrrem Fri 17-Jul-09 14:25:29

DS (4.6) never classically crawled, but bear crawled (hands and feet) at 8 months and then walked at 14 months. Physio recently said that the bear crawling was probably due to his hypermobility as he probably couldn't keep himself stable on his knees.

cyberseraphim Fri 17-Jul-09 21:37:39

Thank you everyone - such a variety of responses ! It shows this is a very uncertain area - that although it's important not to panic parents about physical delays ( or delays of any kind) that we should not be too complacent either as it might be a sign of a wider problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now