Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Have you used 'The Transporters' DVD for an ASD child and if so what did you think?

(10 Posts)
amberflower Wed 15-Jul-09 20:14:00

One of the things picked up at DS's assessment, which resulted in an ASD/aspergers DX, was that he struggled to recognise emotions when shown pictures of faces. He could identify 'happy' but muddled 'sad/angry' and when pushed by the SALT to tell her how the picture faces were feeling, he just told her he couldn't know how they were feeling because they were not in our world.

The outreach worker who has subsequently observed him in school has picked up on that part of his assessment report, and recommended a DVD called The Transporters Promote Emotions which is geared to ASD children aged 2-8, emphasis on watching 15 minutes daily for 4 weeks. According to the bumph I've been given, "A new study to be published in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders from Cambridge University has found that after watching the DCD for just 15 minutes a day for four weeks, most children with autism caught up with other children in their ability to recognise emotions".

I am a bit cynical about this to be honest...I mean, can it really be that simple hmm

But I would be interested to hear whether anyone has used it with their child and if so what you thought of it.

staryeyed Wed 15-Jul-09 21:40:30

I used it with my Ds. He wasnt interested at all but he has very limited comprehension so I gues it just wasnt that suitable for him.

stressa Wed 15-Jul-09 22:14:34

From personal experience (me and 2 ds) worth checking out this - http://www.jordanseyes.com/page14.htm

My kids hated the transporters DVD but they are not into train stories (might be different for Thomas fans?)

coppertop Wed 15-Jul-09 22:22:15

Mine watched it a few times and their ability to recognise the emotions of the characters in the DVD improved as they went along. I'm not convinced that they "caught up with other children in their ability to recognise emotions" though.

Yes their ability to recognise the characters' emotions improved, but I'm not entirely convinced that they have been able to transfer this to recognising anyone's emotions. My 6yr-old will still say things like "When someone is sad the ends of their mouth point down".

I would say that it's a useful tool but not to expect miracles from it.

Widemouthfrog Wed 15-Jul-09 22:22:30

My DS used it at school - he quite liked it but he was a Thomas fan at that time.

There is a trial episode on the Transporters website www.thetransporters.com

I found it a bit freaky personally.

coppertop Wed 15-Jul-09 22:29:47

I forgot to say that you're more than welcome to have my copy if you want to try it out. It was free (I think they charge for them now) and I have no use for it.

jasdox Wed 15-Jul-09 22:30:38

my ds loved it for a while, when he was about 2.5 though. as he liked boats, buses, tractors etc. a year on he is quite good with faces, but uncertain whether the dvd helped or not. but when he was into thomas they had an emotion game we used to do. regarding dvd not sure he would watch it now as it is incredibly slow, personally, i found the faces difficult to read (but as wondering if i am aspie). we also play a game where i am angry or sad, he now gives me a hug to make me happy. The inclusion team in his nursery suggested that they bring in these material dolls with different emotions on there faces, and the whole group could play, don't know if this would be suitable

Widemouthfrog Wed 15-Jul-09 22:35:11

We played games in the mirror, where DS would ask - do happy, do sad, do cross, etc. This was very repetitive and lasted a few months (I didn't know he was ASD then) I think he learned most facial expression this way and can now read faces well, as long as he can see the whole face.

I thinked he liked the spinning wheels in The Transporters, but its hard to say if he learnt facioal expression this way.

Seuss Wed 15-Jul-09 22:40:07

My ds didn't like the Transporters but then he's never been a train fan and he was probably about 6 at the time so probably near the upper age range for it.

amberflower Thu 16-Jul-09 12:37:59

Thanks for all the feedback - that's really useful. DS does like trains, Thomas, Chuggington etc so might be worth giving it a go - although he might also find it a bit 'freaky' as widemouthfrog describes!

I think I will give it a go although to be honest DS doesn't struggle so much with 'real' facial expressions as the picture/cartoon ones found in books, tests etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now