Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

my son has adhd

(9 Posts)
overload Thu 19-May-05 16:18:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cosmo74 Thu 19-May-05 16:29:00

Hello overload - sorry you are having a difficult time - have you just got your dx. I don't really have any answers as I am still waiting on DS assessment - what are your sons symptons if oyu don't mind me asking ?

Hopefully someone will come along with some better advice.

Dingle Thu 19-May-05 16:30:38

No real experience of this overload, my 3.5 yr old dd has DS. There are several MNs that will be along to help. They are an amazing source of information and support.

overload Thu 19-May-05 17:00:35

my sons symptons are hypo, needs lots of attention especially one to one, he finds it very difficult to concerntrate and has difficulty interacting with his peers. can be quite aggressive and behaviour problems. Any one got the same needs?

Jayzmummy Thu 19-May-05 19:36:16

Hi Overload.

My wee ray of sunshine has Dx of ADHD along with a long list of other conditions....ASD, SPD, Dyspraxia, SID and Dyslexia.

I know only too well about the difficulties coping with behaviour. Im tired emotionally, physically and mentally and to be quite honest I am just about on the brink of collapse.

Take all the help and support you can get. Apply for DLA and use the money to make your lives better....I am using some of ours to pay for a sitter so I can go out for a couple of hours a week and have a swim/sauna etc. You have to make time for you.

Have you read any books about ADHD....I can recommend a few....some of which have excellent behavioural programmes you can try.

Keep posting an I know loads of the others will be along to offer excellent help and advice.

Cosmo74 Fri 20-May-05 09:51:45

Overload

Most of the symptons sound the same as my son, but I am still reluctant to say he has ADHD - he is hyper. sometime but can be controlled he does sleep through the night from 8pm til 7:30am and I was told that ADHD children do not sleep that long. His main problems are doing what he is told without having to tell him 5 times, his conectration/attention is really bad without lots of positive praise and reward. He is very good at interacting with both other kids and adults maybe a bit too much at times constantly chats/sings etc.. - he can be very noisy playing and is always fidgeting but at the same time he will put his hands over his ears if for other loud noises?

If you don't mind me asking who give you the dx and what are they doing to control or help you deal with it?

tallulah Fri 20-May-05 18:46:50

Hi Overload

I have a ds with ADHD (my 3rd) who is now 15 (dx at 7). My older ds is dyspraxic & I have an older dd and a younger ds who are NT.

Now that they are all much older life isn't so fraught as it used to be, although the older they get the more obvious it is that ds is not like other teens. It has been particularly hard for the youngest as he tries to compete & is expert at pushing the buttons to set off his brother.

How old are yours? Is your ds on medication?

overload Sun 22-May-05 16:38:15

my son is 9 and they want him to go on ritalin but i am not comfortable about this has i have read lots of details on the internet and i am not i want to put my son on this?

Chocol8 Sun 22-May-05 17:14:38

Hi Overload - my ds who is 7 was dx as ADHD (and AS) 2 years ago. Like you I was very anti-Ritalin as it seemed to have such bad press. After the shock of the dx I spoke to one of the school governors whose ds (then 18) had been on Ritalin for a few years previous. She told me how it had improved his life no end and enabled him to mix with his peers, which he just couldn't do before.

I thought long and hard about it - as a lot of Mums here have expressed - and decided to trial it. I did - it was wonderful and I really don't know how I could have coped without it.

He was calmer and less argumentative, less aggressive etc. It didn't make him into a "zombie" as I had feared, in fact quite the opposite, just calmer.

After 18 months his consultant suggested he take Strattera as Ritalin didn't seem to be continuing through the afternoons at school. He swapped little by little over at Christmas and it is very much like Ritalin but it is a time release capsule which he takes in the morning and lasts all day.

You will probably find other threads on ADHD/Ritalin in the archive section which may be useful to you. I know it is easy to petrify yourself about medical things on the internet, but don't believe everything you read (excluding this!!!) , but speak to other parents who have tried Ritalin (or similar) and then make a decision. Good luck with whatever you decide Overload....and let us know. x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: