Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How should I deal with the growling ?

(9 Posts)
frazzledazzle Tue 14-Jul-09 11:14:11

DS has undiagnosed AS and has always made a kind of growling throaty noise and lately he has been doing this a lot.

When he enters his classroom in a morning he runs round doing it.The teacher says she tries to deal with it by limiting the time he spends doing things he likes doing e.g computer time and she tells him he must only do it outside.

I also tell him it's unacceptable but he doesn't take any notice and to make matters worse DS2 is copying him.

How do I best handle this? I don't give him any slack with his behaviour just because of his problems but what if he can't help it? Do I just grit my teeth and ignore it and hope it's just a phase,or do I keep on at himm to stop it?

mysonben Tue 14-Jul-09 11:21:13

Bump.
Not sure what to do to stop it , my ds does it too sometimes, a low growling throaty sound, he does it when confronted with new people , or new places, and he will not give eye contact and tries to hide somewhere when he 's in growling mode.
I think it's his way of showing he is not happy with the situation. wink

frazzledazzle Tue 14-Jul-09 11:25:00

I think my DS does it when he's feeling giddy but it's all the time lately,what with him and DS2 I feel like I'm in a zoo,poor DD is going to think it's part of normal communication!

mysonben Tue 14-Jul-09 11:35:27

How old is your dd? just curious!!!
I have a 14m old dd , and she copies the way ds plays with his cars ! shock

I want her to play with dollies not cars! wink

mysonben Tue 14-Jul-09 11:42:49

hmm it's very likely a vocal stim if he does a lot , what do you mean by "he does it when he's feeling giddy" ?

Ds ever poular vocal stims are making a screeching sound (a bit like a whale or a wolf whittle!) , and a humming roaring sound like racing cars. Drives us bats when we 're trying to watch tv and he hops all over the sofa doing it! grin

frazzledazzle Tue 14-Jul-09 11:43:28

My DD is 25m,I'm made up to be buying dollies for a change but DD would rather play with cars too!

mysonben Tue 14-Jul-09 11:43:58

Meant to write: ever "popular" not poular! he he he

frazzledazzle Tue 14-Jul-09 11:46:59

By giddy I mean excited,but sometimes he does it if he's angry too.
I did wonder if it was a stim does that mean I'm fighting a losing battle trying to stop him doing it then?

mysonben Tue 14-Jul-09 11:54:34

By no means no . When ds does his stims after a while it gets annoying (we 're only human!) , so we tell him to stop , he will but usually starts agin within 1 min. We try to show him that there are times when he shoudn't be doing it . As he gets older we will try to explain that it isn't socially acceptable and that he can do when he is alone . At the moment no way would he understand that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now