Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The late talker or two to talk?

(8 Posts)
used2bthin Mon 13-Jul-09 20:54:11

Some of you recommended the book Two to talk from the Hanen programme and it looks really good (if a little scary!) so I was about to order it on amazon when I noticed they want £58 for it! And there was a link to a book called The Late Taler underneath for £9 would that be any good? I'm off to try ebay for the Hanen book but thought I'd see if anyone had any opinions on the late talker one.

TotalChaos Mon 13-Jul-09 21:00:14

Nooooooo, don't order from amazon, get it on ebay or from winslow publications. It goes for about 20-25 pounds on ebay.

I've never read the Late talker but have read some erm critical reviews on amazon us site - the book is geared towards kids with dyspraxia, and IIRC that hasn't been suggested, has it, so I wouldn't bother with that one at all. Baby Talk by Sally Ward is meant to be good about genuine language development, or the Parent's Guide to Speech and Language Problems is quite nice as a general overview and discussion of the emotional aspects.

used2bthin Mon 13-Jul-09 21:12:10

Sory either my computer or mumsnet is on a go-slow tonight. I will have a look on ebay and try winslow publications if not, thanks.

As for dyspraxia I think it may be the only thing that hasn't been suggested so probably not wort me trying that. Although her jaw muscles are weak is that the same thing? Possibly not. I feel that I don't know where to start with it because if her problems stem largely from being unable to hear a lot of the time then its hard to know what to work on. I'll order the Hanen though because even if her glue ear gets sorted we've got lots of work to do.

sadminster Mon 13-Jul-09 21:15:32

I got it takes two from Winslow ( http://www.winslow-cat.com/cgi-bin/winslow.storefront ) last week it was about £35 inc postage.

used2bthin Mon 13-Jul-09 21:19:11

Thanks sadminster I've just found it on ebay but they want ^) something as a buy now price bt I am watching it so will bid tomorrow when it goes on and try winslow if I hvae no joy. Lucky we get DLA that is one expensive book!

used2bthin Mon 13-Jul-09 21:19:56

£60 something that should have said!

lingle Mon 13-Jul-09 22:48:18

Yes "Late Talker" (the one with the subtitle "what to do if he's not talking yet"?) is a book about verbal dyspraxia thinly disguised as a book about late talking in general.

Whereas "It Takes Two" would go on my desert island with me. It is not scary ("More than Words" rates a bit higher on the scary chart)

used2bthin Mon 13-Jul-09 23:07:26

Ok I'm not sure yet what DDs main issue is but it sounds like It takes two is the best option. I have been putting it off but will go for it. Thanks, I am (almost) looking forwar to reading it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now