Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
Devastated DD did not get place at school requested on statement(9 Posts)
Received news on Friday that DD did not get place at Special school we requested on statement, were told no places available and DD has been put on waiting list. Am therefore now ready to battle to get proposed statement amended as they are only stating she needs 20 hours additional TA support if in mainstream school. DD struggles to access curriculum in all areas and has severe general learning difficulties and already has TA in morning classes and 1:1 TA support in afternoon. Surely therefore 20 hours TA support is no improvement!! She has struggled more and more in last 2 years of mainstream Juniors. All reports state that she needs specialist provision. I have spoken to and poured my heart out to PP who have been marvellous and I have full support of SenCo. I tried to ring IPSEA on Friday afternoon but could not get through. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should be requesting on the statement? I know poor DD needs specialist teaching to be able to access the curriculum. How do I get this through mainstream placement? Please help, I feel so bloody useless!!
sorry you got bad news regarding the placement. have they given you any idea how long it will be till a place is likely to come free? i'm not well up on this area, my main thought is whether there are any special schools further away in neighbouring areas that would be suitable (obv. only of use if they have places ), as would have thought they should give your DD transport.
Hi TC, no they cannot give me any idea of how long she will have to wait, although the school is having a new building which is due to be completed October and they say this might make more places available but no guarantee!! Next nearest special school to us is a good hour away, so not really suitable.
sorry to hear been trned down know how disappointing it is not to get what our dc ned
What are the LEA themselves proposing - a mainstream school?
If your reports suggest a special school that's what you should be holding out for. If this one is full the LEA should be trying to find another special school. They will consider a school that's an hour away as reasonable travelling distance. Your counter argument should be that she's entitled to stress free travel and an hour in a car / taxi would be too stressful.
Just ask for everything you think is needed i.e. 1:1, etc
She is entitled to an education "appropraite to her age and ability". Remmebr that if they try to place her in mainstream agaibst the reports advice. Once in mianstream your unscrupous LEA (they all are) will claim she is receiving suitabkle eductaion and it will be more difficult to get her a specialist placement.
Thanks WetAugust. LEA are saying she will have to stay in mainstream until such a time as a place becomes available at the named special school. In fairness they are not arguing with my request for a place at special school. However, whilst she has to remain at mainstream I want to ensure that she is getting the specialist help she requires to learn and be happy in that environment. She already gets a high level of TA support, but this is not progressing her learning. Am I within my rights to request that she gets support from a specialist teacher? Do the LEA provide for such a request? I am unsure as to what is "reasonable" to ask for?
do you mean some sort out of outreach teacher from LEA coming in and advising the staff, e.g. schools often seem to be able to get advice from behaviour advice teachers or autism outreach? or do you mean having the specialist teacher come in and teach your DD?
Hello there Sadnog,
I am new to mums net so please bear with me doing this. I am SEN Governour at our local Primary School & also have a DD with SN. My DD went to our mainstream primary but now goes to a special school. Have you asked about the school your DD will go to supporting her at the mainstream school which is something that happens round here? They might not have anyone that can come in & teach her but they should be able to give her teacher or ta advise. Also, have you appealed the fact that they carnt get her in now? I really would not recomend sending her to a school an hour away as i can drive to my DDs school in 15mins but because of other Children that need collecting she leaves home at 7:35 & doesnt get back until 4:45!
Good luck & i hope it works out for you x
Thanks Mumof4Monsters. I haven't and wouldn't even consider sending her an hour away to school, she already gets extremely tired in the afternoons. I wouldn't be happy with her travelling that sort of distance anyway.
TC - yes I'm talking about having someone who is qualified and experienced in teaching a child with severe learning difficulties. I know this would not be possible full time but even a few hours a week would be better than nothing. I have already sent a request to the Inclusion Outreach team for their help and advice. DDs current TA is lovely and DD relates well to her, but the fact remains she is not qualified to teach her, she's just there to support her. In order for DD to actually learn and progress she needs specialist teaching and it's clear she will not get this in mainstream. Our SenCo is telling me they are already doing everything they should be and although I am told she has become more settled in the last 6 months, she is still not progressing in her learning.
Join the discussion
Please login first.