Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I know its silly but this letter really got me down

(5 Posts)
PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Sun 12-Jul-09 13:48:52

After sixmonths waiting since we were told it ahd been sent (!)
ds3'sletter of dx finally amde it here.

Thing is, whereas ds1'sletter stated :DIagnosis: AS / HFA, ds3's sattes: Problem: autism.

Now the asd thing is no shovck by any emans- after all he's at an snu etc.

it's the 'problem' bit. It feels (stupidly I know) that he has been abelled as a problem.

Which of course to the LEA / DWP ? etc he is, isn't he?

The fact that he is so gorgeous that people congratulate dh and i when they meet us (eg SNU Head when she met DH alst week taking in cakes for school fair).

Making me feel gflat a anything, worriedmit's going to reck our hols on the 18th and did wreck my birthday this week.

It's probably classic old dx syndrome resurrected, no?

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 12-Jul-09 14:22:09

God that is very poor wording in the letter -sounds to me like some over-worked/bored typist somewhere has made an error. Don't let it get you down though - he sounds beautiful.

mum2fredandpudding Sun 12-Jul-09 15:21:29

very poor wording.

ts hard sn't it? people who are not in our situation, even the lovlest most well-meaning friends, can drop a word innocently here and there and it can throw you back a few steps. I think t was a case of this, a thoughtless essor.

your son is dfferent from the majority and that in itself is beautiful. he is not a problem to you, he will never be a problem to you.

hope you have a lovely holiday, its hard to do, but dot let a little word get you down.

Phoenix4725 Sun 12-Jul-09 17:17:35

bad wording to say the least .

They see everything as pound signs not the child

HelensMelons Sun 12-Jul-09 19:29:06

Yes, Peachy, horrible wording and yes, it could be classic old dx syndrome resurrected!

Felt shit filling in the blue form for ADHD assessment a few months ago - couldn't understand why I got so upset but it was, just as you said, old dx syndrome, and a reminder of the feelings around the asd dx which we already have.

Big cry, if necessary, put the letter in a drawer or cupboard - close the door and leave it there (feelings and all).

Allow yourself a fab holiday with your lovely dc's!

Re-visit it, if you have to, when you come back.

Have a lovely time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now