Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I hate school reports

(10 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 10-Jul-09 15:48:46

Message withdrawn

2shoes Fri 10-Jul-09 16:34:40

dd gets comments on her writing(her score isn't high but it is a score)

sarah293 Fri 10-Jul-09 16:40:44

Message withdrawn

lou031205 Fri 10-Jul-09 17:27:59

As time goes on, and she is able to use the reader you have, will her selections count as 'writing'? Surely that is no different than having a scribe.

MIAonline Fri 10-Jul-09 17:34:18

I am pretty sure there are 'p scales' for SEN assessment, so that you can still see the achievements that your DD is making without being stuck with assessments that are leaving your DD with nothing.

No wonder you hate school reports, based on what you have had to receive.

Bet if you were to write your own about DD, you would have so much more to say.

sarah293 Fri 10-Jul-09 17:37:57

Message withdrawn

MIAonline Fri 10-Jul-09 17:44:54

This is the link for p scales
www.qca.org.uk/qca_8541.aspx

Just for an example I have copied the first 3 scales for writing:

P1(i)
Pupils encounter activities and experiences. They may be passive or resistant. They may show simple reflex responses, for example, startling at sudden noises or movements. Any participation is fully prompted.
P1(ii)
Pupils show emerging awareness of activities and experiences. They may have periods when they appear alert and ready to focus their attention on certain people, events, objects or parts of objects, for example, attending briefly to interactions with a familiar person. They may give intermittent reactions, for example, sometimes becoming excited in the midst of social activity.
P2(i)
Pupils begin to respond consistently to familiar people, events and objects. They react to new activities and experiences, for example, withholding their attention. They begin to show interest in people, events and objects, for example, smiling at familiar people. They accept and engage in coactive exploration, for example, focusing their attention on sensory aspects of stories or rhymes when prompted

MIAonline Fri 10-Jul-09 17:48:21

If you have a look and feel it is appropriate for your DD you could always speak to the SEN coordinator and ask if (even in only certain areas) the next report could include p scales so that you are able to see how your DD is progressing though them.

Sorry if this is inappropriate for you, don't fully know your situation, but felt sad that your DD was given nothing for writing and just felt that it would be awful if you had to constantly face this each year.

sarah293 Fri 10-Jul-09 17:48:42

Message withdrawn

MIAonline Fri 10-Jul-09 17:53:17

afaik, they are used when children are working below national curriculum level 1 and this could be for any reason.

Some schools are just more up on areas like this as it creates extra work for them. Do you think they could be appropriate for your DD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now