Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Torchwood really got me down

(51 Posts)
lou031205 Thu 09-Jul-09 22:14:11

I know it is fiction, but I wanted to cry when they were discussing 'selection', wondering if DD1 would be considered expendable sad

2shoes Thu 09-Jul-09 22:17:43

I thought the sameblush even ds looked at me

Goblinchild Thu 09-Jul-09 22:19:41

Similar attempts to improve the gene pool were made in the last century, and not just by the Nazis.
Russell Davies, anarchist to the last.
"What are school league Tables for?"
Now we know!

PipinJo Thu 09-Jul-09 22:20:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lou031205 Thu 09-Jul-09 22:21:43

It sent a cold shiver down my back, tbh. I think I am struggling with the reality of DD1 having SN. She is so lovely, I hate it that she is struggling in life.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 09-Jul-09 22:23:51

I*'ve recorded it and not watched it yet - might give it a miss I think sad

2shoes Thu 09-Jul-09 22:51:27

don't not watch it, it is good, I think we (rightly) are over sensitive, but it did hit a nerve with me

Goblinchild Thu 09-Jul-09 22:53:54

Made me more determined to fight those sorts of attitudes in RL, but then I'm not the tearful sort.

2shoes Thu 09-Jul-09 22:56:22

we should now insist our dc's goe to the best school, I know the anti's would hate that, but that is inclusion.

Goblinchild Thu 09-Jul-09 23:04:30

Well, then you get the staffroom discussions about how much easier it would be to make targets set by the SMT if they were only allowed to cull the deadweight.
I'd fight for the six I have with SEN, but the 4 chavettes? I'd have to dig deep!

sphil Thu 09-Jul-09 23:12:56

God, I just saw it as a huge dig at league tables - didn't read it in that way at all!

SammyK Thu 09-Jul-09 23:14:59

me too, left me feeling a bit nauseous sad

DS is on the spectrum and his two big brothers (diff mum), live on council estate in bad area with low school results. The idea that our children would be seen as dispensable to government officials was a blow to the stomach as although Torchwood is fiction, it would very likely pan out that way in RL IMO. sad Also got all angry about their children being out of the selection process - you would think the injustices of society would be old news to me really. hmm

Goblinchild Thu 09-Jul-09 23:15:32

I'm a teacher
With an sn teen
And a passion for history
Triple whammy at believing in conspiracies!

misscutandstick Fri 10-Jul-09 08:00:30

actually me and DH thought something similar... would rule out the majority of my children too! sad

DONT WORRY THO! capt Jack WILL save the day, he always does!!!

(that said i dont think i would like to rely on him in RL! grin)

TheFool Fri 10-Jul-09 08:10:37

I was sat there thinking "I know its only fiction.... I know its only fiction...." and still waiting with my heart in my mouth for them to mention the SN schools.

sarah293 Fri 10-Jul-09 08:20:06

Message withdrawn

PheasantPlucker Fri 10-Jul-09 09:44:15

Agree with you - I felt a bit queezy last night, and very uneasy. I love the programme, but, being a bit 'wobbly' at the mo, found it all a bit traumatic last night.

Reminded me of a speech made by the lovely Ade Adipitan (spelling?) at a WW2 remembrance concert a few years back

Pixel Fri 10-Jul-09 20:49:27

Riven, I was once passing the time of day with a woman who is a local counciller, only because I used to work for her husband so was being polite iyswim. She asked after dcs, as you do, and if ds was at a special school. I replied that he was and was spouting on about what a fantastic place it is and she said "Oh but the cost!". Then she asked if he got transport to school, and being the trusting fool that I am, I said he did and how lovely it was. She started going on about the cost of that too!

Honestly, I was so surprised that I was literally speechless. Afterwards I was fuming and of course thought of all the remarks I could have made about how I'd rather spend our hard-earned taxes on that than some of the other rubbish the council wastes our money on. It does make you wonder about some of the conversations behind closed doors.

marmoset Fri 10-Jul-09 21:54:24

Yes, it is unsettling although we didn't assume ds1 with sn would get picked - we assumed that ds2's teacher would sign him up right away for the cheek he has caused all year... Yes, the report card came in this week. Recording the last one until dh gets home so don't tell me what happens grin

pixel - what a cheeky cow (her, not you, obviously!). Some people really don't get it at all. I assume that she would want tax payers money spent on her if she or a loved one was ill or made redundant or if she gets too old and frail to care for herself or any of the million and one things that can happen in real life?

Takes deep breaths and goes to find big glass of wine.

sarah293 Sat 11-Jul-09 06:54:13

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Sat 11-Jul-09 09:56:04

PMSL Riven

Torchwood upset me badly, but even more so when somebiody on the main thread sais it would be OK as mine go to a non- bottom ten per cent school hmm or similar

Oh thats OK then,long as its not my boys- WTF?

Its important to keep these things disucssed: what happens post climate change when resources collapse? When our dc's are in care home (as I think ds3 will be at some level) and there's a flood, after all in the New Orleans disaster care home residents were left to die- it's a two level potential holocaust: on one level we get teh letters from the geneticists now asking us to come in and have tests done for research (fuck off), on the other lvel people are assuming such an I'm alright jack attitude over our immeidate survival as a race whilst acknowledging that survival of the fittest will come to play.

of course I have my owns ecret weapon, ds1: he may be ASD but he will survive I am certain and then he can go repopulate the gene pool to ensure the survival of aspieness. Oh yes I wouldnt get in his way in a survival situation!!!!

<<has the same nightmares about ds3 she has had regularly since DX>>

Goblinchild Sat 11-Jul-09 10:07:35

>ds1: he may be ASD but he will survive I am certain and then he can go repopulate the gene pool to ensure the survival of aspieness. Oh yes I wouldnt get in his way in a survival situation!!!!

Peachy, that was my thought about my son. grin

misscutandstick Sat 11-Jul-09 13:08:40

jack didnt save the day sad

I am however considering letting the kids watch it (iPlayer to the rescue), it wasnt particularly gory (as far as I remember) and it might provoke some good thinking.

smallwhitecat Sat 11-Jul-09 13:13:22

Message withdrawn

Frasersmum123 Sat 11-Jul-09 16:56:45

You all thought the same as me, I was really upset by Thursdays episode.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now