Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The extra year might just do it for DS2 (3.10, 18-month receptive language delay +?)

(5 Posts)
lingle Thu 09-Jul-09 17:37:44

I've just had by far the most positive report all year from nursery and am chuffed.

DS2 has had to be told off for chatting on the carpet!!!! They were very sweet - said it was a great week for them as not only did DS2 talk too much to another child (albeit for one minute!) but his little friend with severe SN who learnt to walk just this month has earned her first accident book report. In the last six weeks DS2 has apparently finally started mingling properly among the other children and has been spotted in the centre of social groups (gasp). The teacher said "I think I'm finally meeting the little boy you've described to me".

Head and nursery manager feel that at current rates of progress DS2 will be ready for reception in a year's -hope so! They don't see any point applying for a statement at the moment asdon't see what statement would do for him <stands back in case of vehement response>. His twin problems are receptive language and withdrawn behaviour and they want to minimise the extent to which he is withdrawn from the group or treated as different and instead try to focus on getting him at ease in the group. Meanwhile I will continue to work him on his receptive language which is coming on quite well. They feel that if he is at the 3.6 or so receptive languange level when he starts reception then they can support him though obvious they are hoping he will be at the 4.0+ level.

Nursery manager gave me a long spiel about how having lots of different professionals and assistants involved sounds terrific but doesn't usually work in practice and I wondered if she had been talking to moondog....

waitingforgodot Thu 09-Jul-09 18:40:11

thats great news! You are right to be chuffed!

amberflower Thu 09-Jul-09 18:47:50

Fabulous news Lingle! And well done little lingle! There is a lot to be said for chatting on the carpet grin

I agree re the lots of professionals. At the end of the day I think the work and effort put in by parents is often worth an awful lot more!

sadminster Thu 09-Jul-09 21:50:03

lingle that is fabulous news ... my idea of the perfect day very encouraging!

mysonben Thu 09-Jul-09 23:19:01

I'm happy for you and your lil'guy! Very promising!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now