Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Special Schools and swine flu guidance

(14 Posts)
FioFio Thu 09-Jul-09 14:07:54

Message withdrawn

pagwatch Thu 09-Jul-09 15:51:13

Fio - not neurotic.
I suspect they will be grateful if you just inform them as you have done here.
They will take the info you have and choose how to process it.

I have three children at three schools and two now have staff with confirmed cases. Nevertheless the schools stay open and we are simply advised in orderthat we can more closely watch for any symptoms in our children.

The schools both sent home DOH information sheets once swine flu was confirmed which just has about hand washing etc.

The school have done some work with the children too as, being on the ASD spectrum, some of the children are too literal when the news starts talking about swine flu and projected number of cases and deaths hmm.
So we were also advised just to ensure children were not anxious.

HTH's smile

<<Pag thoroughly grateful this term is nearly finished>>

FioFio Thu 09-Jul-09 15:56:57

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 09-Jul-09 15:59:15

We haven't had anything from either school, althopugh it ahsnt yet reached our town and unllike soe SNU's there are no significantly vulnerablekids to my knowledge- though obv haven't seen med files! Kids all asd / ADhd/ GDd but mobile etc

* is becuase i think we've had it but I didnt relaise how closely the symptoms amtched until afterwards; I am the opposite of neurotic and would send the boys to school in a holocaust muttering about blitz spirit blush

FioFio Thu 09-Jul-09 17:57:23

Message withdrawn

springlamb Thu 09-Jul-09 19:28:23

Confirmed case at ds's school today as well (staff not pupil). Letter home from head, advising that HPA don't recommend closing schools. He also sent out one a fortnight ago just saying that he will let us know if it becomes an issue at school.
Well, someone tipped me the wink last night, so it's no surprise. I have plenty of paracetamol, ibuprofen, dioralyte and chicken soup in. And I am lucky that ds is in good health generally.
The letter gives some HPA advice about having a flu friend. I have told dh he'll have to suffer alone because I can't be flu friend to him as well as the dc. He is wandering around looking sad, I think he believes me.
Of course, I shan't get it, shall I? I'll be too busy looking after everyone else.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 09-Jul-09 19:44:27

Fio I didnt eman you wre neurotic LOL- i'm too laid back, i've often sent the boys off then found they were actually genuinely quite ill blush

This does worry me- not from the eprspective of will we get it, but how we'll sope if we do; flu friend no chance, out of term time we could all be dead six weeks and nobody would notice!

Woooozle100 Fri 10-Jul-09 00:03:42

think yr doing the right thing to mention it in diary. Up to school then how they want to handle it

I got phone call from school nurse at beginning of the week - informing me of case in senior school and giving me the option of keeping dd off school (they were calling round the most vulnerable ones)

I felt a bit neurotic for a moment. But decided to send her as its widespread where we live so hardly any point doing unless I was going to properly contain us all

Hope yr dh cold passes just as that and doesn't cause any probs for yr dd

misscutandstick Fri 10-Jul-09 07:05:39

we too had a confirmed case (pupil) at school, in year6. I felt worried - not for DS2&3 who attend blush im sure they'll be fine, but DS5 drops at the sight of a bug bless him, and usual calpol and stuff doesnt tend to touch him...

The school (MS) has said that they wont be closing the school down, as its only a little village and it wont slow or stop the virus spreading anyway.

Phoenix4725 Fri 10-Jul-09 07:34:27

ds has just got out of hospital after getting it did 10 days and hes still not himself dd on tamiflu but feeling willbe going in with her

Woooozle100 Fri 10-Jul-09 15:25:14

oh no phoenix Wishing you all the very best. Hope you do manage to avoid another stint in hossie. What a mare

there's been more cases at dd's school. They've now said to the more vulnerable ones not to come in.

FioFio Mon 13-Jul-09 13:11:36

Message withdrawn

Woooozle100 Mon 13-Jul-09 20:32:32

fio - completely agree with wishing school would make decision. Yr buggered either way (neurotic or callous)

FioFio Wed 15-Jul-09 17:14:56

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now