Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Umbilical cord blood, to help with CP and ASD

(9 Posts)
WasUnderThirthy Tue 07-Jul-09 21:00:45

I'm sure the subject has been discussed before, but I have just read about how the blood from the umbilical cord, from the child or from a sibling, can greatly improve the child's condition. I have read in reference to CP, but it can help with autism and other conditions too.

Since we are trying for dc2, the new technology is particularly intriguing, as my 2 years old has dev delay due to brain trauma in utero.

Anyone tried it? wants to try it? I'll definitely discuss it with our dev ped, but please let me know your opinions.

2shoes Tue 07-Jul-09 22:03:31

sounds rather far fetched to me, I don't see any way that could help with brain damage tbh

WasUnderThirthy Tue 07-Jul-09 23:34:15

I know, but in the states and in Canada it is really being investigated seriously, see, if you google it.

At the same time I am not creating nyself false hopes, but there is not harm in researching it.

TotalChaos Tue 07-Jul-09 23:35:53

I think it's still experiemental, more of a "maybe it might help in the future" scenario, rather than a dead cert. and like 2shoes I'ld be sceptical as to whether it would help with CP or ASD.

WasUnderThirthy Wed 08-Jul-09 00:52:14

I just remember the first article I read was of a mother cured of leukemia with her dd umbilical cord blood. The other articles about CP, taken from a `umbilical cord freezing center` spoke about great improvement, but of course had a bias.

sarah293 Wed 08-Jul-09 08:01:12

Message withdrawn

Hangingbellyofbabylon Wed 08-Jul-09 16:21:26

There's some info on a Scope thread here.

I'm thinking of conserving the cord blood of this little one who is due in September. Whether it could help dd2 in the future or not, I feel it might be an option for the future.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Wed 08-Jul-09 16:23:35

if anyone is interested this company has been recommended by a friend.

WasUnderThirthy Wed 08-Jul-09 17:41:49

I have just came across the blog:

lovethatmax.blogspot.com/2009/07/max-is-getting-stem-cell-therapy-and.html

So I will add to my list of what if's: What if I had kept that uc blood...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now