Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Question about dla and other benefits ??

(17 Posts)
longagegap Tue 07-Jul-09 18:37:56

Hi my son got high rate dla , i'm on income support and not sure what else i'm meant to claim for ?? Not sure what way the carer allowance goes . No-one seems to be able to answer what i'm asking . I've been in touch with child tax credit who have said they'll up date it for my son . If someone could let me know who has been through this i'd be very glad to hear back from you , many thanks

electra Tue 07-Jul-09 19:21:50

Message withdrawn

UndertheBoredwalk Tue 07-Jul-09 19:23:20

Yes claim carer's allowance, but make sure you inform IS when you are claiming it as your IS is reduced a little when receiving Carer's.

Debs75 Tue 07-Jul-09 22:13:39

Do you work at all?
If you get dla and carers allowance you may be entitled to help with your rent and council tax.
CA is 55ish a week and you can earn up to 95 a week as well. Your IS will go down a bit but not too much
Your CTC could almost triple for your son

longagegap Wed 08-Jul-09 07:10:38

Hi thanks for the replys . Thats what i thought that income support would go down a bit , they've asked to fill in a form for income support as he is getting high rate dla so money could go up . No Debs75 , i'm not working at the moment with way things have been going with my son , as i'm bringing him up on my own . Thanks again every one

misscutandstick Wed 08-Jul-09 07:28:45

Dont forget that very many days out type places will admit carers either free or much reduced - best to ring and ask about "disabled child and carer rates". Doesnt actually give you any money, but will save you some over the school holidays.

brandy77 Wed 08-Jul-09 09:20:24

are you sure IS only goes down a little bit? when i was on IS i was told that basically the carers allowance would be a substitute for the IS? that is better though really because of the free cinema entry and carer rates on other days out like misscutandstick says

brandy77 Wed 08-Jul-09 09:24:30

i now dont receive any benefits other than carers allowance, as the CSA are finally paying me full maintenance so it takes me over the cut off or something for benefits, bit of a bugger as ive just given up my job as im finding it hard to juggle my son and work and theres no where to regain the lost money

jetcat32 Wed 08-Jul-09 15:49:27

If you're on IS, then i dont think you actually recive Carers Allowance, once you have been awarded it you receive the carers premium on top of your existing IS award. I know some people who have it this way, and others who claim full carers and a top of of IS hmm

Just reread and see you are a lone parent. I would think then that a call to a lone parent advisor would be the best way, as they can advise, but my sister is in a similar situation to you, and she receives the carers premium on top, rather than full carers allowance.

I hope that made sense, as i got a bit distracted in the middle!

bubblagirl Wed 08-Jul-09 16:07:58

yes if on IS you get a 27 pound carers premium on top of your IS
my friend is lone parent and received premium on top of hers

bubblagirl Wed 08-Jul-09 16:09:39

further down page here

brandy77 Wed 08-Jul-09 16:12:42

mmm thats weird then, cause i was told by a lone parents advisor that i wouldnt have got anything on top. Not that it matters now as i receive too much maintenance (well when the CSA send it to me!)to reclaim IS while im not working

jubee Wed 08-Jul-09 22:19:30

Hi longagegap. Do you drive. If you get higher rate DLA, you may be entitled to get a car on the Motability scheme. Just picked up my lovely brand new ford focus last month.
Also if you take a copy of your letter saying you get DLA and keep it in your hhandbag. You can get reduced rates at some places. My local zoo lets me in for nothing as a carer. Also i get in free swimming when i take my son. I used to be scared to ask for a concession, but i ask all the time now and sometimes get in for free or a reduced rate. You need to be thick skinned as sometimes you just get told No, but its worth an ask.

jjones Thu 09-Jul-09 01:12:47

Hi I am on IS and get carers allowance but I get £40.70 IS a week and the full £53 carers. A tip about tax credits, make sure whan you get your updated award that it say severe disability element as mine didn't and I lost out on about £1000 over the year and it was too late when I discovered it.

bubblagirl Thu 09-Jul-09 09:00:52

cinema you can get ticket to allow carer in fee you buy a card and this entitles free pass for carer

library if you take letter to library they add this to there account child only and this entitles you free dvd rental for child only but as many as you like and you dont get charged for late fees

mum2fredandpudding Thu 09-Jul-09 16:01:41

call 'contact a family' and ask them to go through what benefits you are entitled to. they kno everyythng and are really nice nad helpful (and on your side!)

longagegap Thu 09-Jul-09 21:30:37

Hi from what i've been told and what i toke from it was that my IS would go up as he is on high rate , as for the carer allowance i'm unsure as some people have said that it will take my IS down hmm

My son is only 1 years old , so he doesnt get the mobilty part of dla just for the personal care , i'm lost with all of this like everything else at the moment lol , I need to leave form back up to IS in the morning so i'll ask someone else and see if they can tell me more , i keep getting told different things or none of them know

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: