Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Separation Anxiety at 5 years !

(4 Posts)
cyberseraphim Mon 06-Jul-09 19:35:23

DS1 has started behaving like an NT baby showing separation anxiety as he gets really upset whenever it looks like I might be about to leave. He drags me back and shouts at me to 'sit down'. I am loving it as when he was a baby he seemed not to notice or care who was with him. So - is this an important developmental stage ? I suppose I am fishing for yes as the answer but how does this issue arise for others ? I have read of autistic children who are very attached from a much younger age whereas others are not.

cjones2979 Mon 06-Jul-09 21:14:38

Has anything significant happened recently that could be making him feel like this ??

My son is also 5 and has ASD. He was diagnosed at 3. As a baby, he would go to anybody & never seemed to care whether I was there or not. However, at 2 (before DX), he started at pre-school & this seemed to cause him to worry about me not being around. For about 6 months, he cried when I left him, and also did the same when I took him to my mums, even though he had been staying the night there once a week since he was a few weeks old !!

Even now, when he meets new people or goes somewhere new, he's a bit apprehensive. When I say "Mummy see you later", he will say "Where's Mummy" (meaning where am I going) so I just tell him that mummy will be back to pick him up later & he's fine after that.

cyberseraphim Tue 07-Jul-09 09:27:19

No nothing has happened. This has come out of the blue. I'm hoping it's a growing awareness that other people are separate from his world view and this now frightens him - which is a good thing as he needs this awareness of his own identity ?

cjones2979 Tue 07-Jul-09 14:59:06

Thats the thing, now he's a bit older, he's just becoming aware of the fact that you're not always around.
It's definitely a good sign, and for us mums, it's nice to know they love us !!x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now