Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Have any of your DCs 'grown out of ' their food intolerances?

(14 Posts)
sphil Mon 06-Jul-09 12:17:43

DS2 has been dairy free since he was four months old because of eczema - but never had an allergy test, so we have never been sure. We did the Sunderland test when he was 3.9 and it came back positive for gluten sensitivity but obviously negative for casein because he never has any.

Now he is 6 and has largely grown out of his eczema - or maybe it's just that we avoid everything that triggers it! We are pretty sure that he still has a gluten intolerance - he gets very hyper if he has it, although the effects aren't that dramatic and are very short-lived. But I'm questioning whether we still need to restrict casein - if indeed we ever have! He had some banana ice cream on Saturday and has had no reaction whatsoever. It was decent ice cream so chock full of dairy!

He is on a whole raft of supplements - fish oils, magnesium, probiotics etc - and I do wonder whether these help him cope with gluten and casein. Not on enzymes though.

Grrrr - I find the whole dietary issue so frustrating! Why can't someone just tell me what he can and can't eat!

His face as he ate this ice cream was a picture - it was as if he'd gone to heaven grin. That's a major factor in all this - I think he could enjoy food so much more if we didn't have so many restrictions. But I'm scared to stop, as his behaviour is so great in general and he doesn't have as many stims now...

Sorry for banging on...

pagwatch Mon 06-Jul-09 12:20:50

My NT son did but my ASD son never has. And I have been doing this farking thing for 10 years now.

And ( more depressingly) I found that he started being able to take a few bits without reaction but then would suddenly have a tipping point of bad bad symptoms. So I found I couldn't/can't let him cheat - even a bit

Yurtgirl Mon 06-Jul-09 12:22:20

Yep ds has 'grown out' of lactose intolerance
He became LI at 15 months due to a several episodes of diarhea and vomiting - lactose free diet until 5 (he was fine with cheese which is low in lactose)

He gradually seemed able to cope with cows milk and is fine now - seemed fine from age 6ish

Yurtgirl Mon 06-Jul-09 12:23:48

Ds has aspergers too - I dont know if that is relavant!

Bang on all you like a restrictive diet is a pita

silverfrog Mon 06-Jul-09 12:54:46

dd1 might have done (sits on fence)

she has been gf/cf for nearly 3 years, and we recently put her ont o goat's milk.

all seems fine (actally seems better thna when drinking rice milk) - better poo (sorry tmi), less bloating, she just looks better overall, really.

sphil Mon 06-Jul-09 13:14:27

I wonder if I might try goats/sheeps milk products first. Do they contain calcium?blush I worry about how little of that he's getting.

Pagwatch - the 'tipping point' is something I've read about - and I think it was in the Sunderland literature too.

silverfrog Mon 06-Jul-09 13:26:59

erm, i think so blush bad mother alert - I have no idea about these things, and hold on to the fact that the dds eat a resonable diet, considering, and hope for the best blush

I did go to a talk by Mike Tettenborn, where he said that, in his opinion, we need a LOT less calcium than stated by most nutritionists (he cited a study done on osteoperosis (sp?) rates in Asia, which concluded that calcium is less important for healthy bones than an active work-bearing lifestyle)

pagwatch Mon 06-Jul-09 14:02:43

ooh sphil - I didn't know the 'tipping point' was a thing smile. Just DS2 will have some naughtish ( non diet items) and be fine for a while and then suddenly it all goes pear shaped.
It was difficult because i would be happy that he had something he had previously not tolerated only for him to have a big reaction just as I relaxed.

But have to say that I am sorry my earlier post was negative in its tone when actually managing the diet has become a bit easier as DS2 has awareness ( albeit limited) of foods that cuase him problems. So we can go to places with his own treats and he is not at all bothered by what the other children are eating.
I just find catering for it tough and never being able to just walk into a shop or cafe and buy ordinary things. Just another hassle.

But DS1 did absoloutely grow out of all his issues. he was gfcf for over a year and when we gradually reintroduced foods he had no problems at all. He can eat almost everything.

PipinJo Mon 06-Jul-09 23:51:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mysonben Tue 07-Jul-09 00:00:13

Ds1 who is now 16 , NT , had exczema , and asthma when a toddler, as well as a "peanut" induced rash up to about 2 years ago, if he ate raw paenuts or peanut butter the rash would appear for a few days, he was ok with food containing peanut ingredients.
Now he is ok with the peanut as long as he doesn't eat too much of it, but as come out with a rash with strawberries!? and a rash we are believing to be triggered by grass, or certain bushes,trees , we are unsure at the mo.

Not quite like gluten/casein intolerance , but ds1's allergies seem to evolve as he gets older.

misscutandstick Tue 07-Jul-09 07:40:29

DS2 seemed to 'grow INTO' them! He was fine with gluten until probably about 8 or 9, but then (with hindsight of course!) he became paler and paler, grew dark circles, seemed 'stoned' most of the time, disgusting smelly floaty poo, complete lack of concentration, etc. He has been gluten free for about 6months now (hes 11y) and looks healthier, sleeps better and is in all top sets at school from being bottom and middle a year ago!

however, DS5 was born with all his intolerances, and no sign of stopping yet (hes 3.2y) sad

misscutandstick Tue 07-Jul-09 07:46:00

forgot to mention DS2 is dyspraxic, and DS5 is Autistic. DS1 is ADHD and doesnt seem to have intolerances hmm

sphil Tue 07-Jul-09 10:43:23

It's all such a mystery isn't it> there doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern between our children at all!

Having said that DS2 had no reaction to the dairy ice cream, he did the smelliest poo ever last night, so that may have been the cause. Would something he ate on Sat affect his bowels on Monday though??

sphil Sat 11-Jul-09 20:32:46

An update - and rather depressing in fact. DS2 ate the dairy ice cream (and cone with gluten) last Saturday. Smelly poos on Monday through to Thursday and since then much more withdrawn, stimmy behaviour. Woke up at 5am this morning crying, which is very unusual. Very floppy, flappy, fingers in ears most of the time today. Asked for bed at 6pm and is still awake now but keeps telling us to go away when we go up to check on him (slightly anxious as swine flu in school).

So either he's sickening for something or the gluten and dairy have had a delayed and long-lasting effect sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now