Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this a stupid idea?

(16 Posts)
Frasersmum123 Sun 05-Jul-09 17:07:17

I have spent today making a 'DS2 Manual', basically a collection of things likes and doesnt like, what he can do etc to take to his new playschool. I am trying to make settling him in as easy and stress free as I possibly can.

DH thinks its a sad idea and that the workers at his playgroup will laugh behind my back, so im feeling really deflated.

What do you all think?

CharlieandLolasMum Sun 05-Jul-09 17:11:37

This will be very helpful for the staff (speaking as a childcare worker)

jemmm Sun 05-Jul-09 17:13:23

I think it's brilliant!

They often ask for this kind of thing anyway - having it all thought through by you in advance - I think they'll be over the moon.

anonandlikeit Sun 05-Jul-09 17:18:38

Not such daft idea! Have you had any involvement with your child development centre?
The reasoin i ask is, they advised us to complete exactly what you are proposing.
In fact in the "Early Support" parent pack (a big box for files & leaflets) there is a similar thing for use with professionals, so that you don't have to keep going over & over the same things with everyone you meet.

5inthebed Sun 05-Jul-09 18:37:17

Its a fantastic idea!

Frasersmum123 Sun 05-Jul-09 18:44:10

Thanks everyone.

DH made me feel really deflated and paranoid that everyone would think I was a bit precious, and an idiot.

I havent had any involvement with Child Devlopment, infact I dont even know if we have a centre in Notts.

yomellamoHelly Sun 05-Jul-09 19:06:05

Agree it's a good idea. Have actually started compiling one for ds2 this w/e. Dh not that convinced either I think. Feel like it's taken the last 9 months to understand what's going on and what he needs and am hoping it'll mean they hit the ground running with him rather than lots of sitting around or trying to get him to do stuff that's just not suitable and getting him upset.

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 05-Jul-09 19:11:07

I did this before my DS started nursery and it was definitely a good idea!

moondog Sun 05-Jul-09 19:12:17

It's a wonderful idea and widely adopted by SALTs. It needs to be far more widely used though.It saves so much time and is infinitely superiour to dreary reports that are either never read or not read by the people who matter.

Here's some more info.

Google 'communication passport template' for other ideas too.

Ideas for a communication passport and template

moondog Sun 05-Jul-09 19:13:11

And nonoe will laugh.They will think you a wonderful caring mother and will be galvanised into working hard with you to do the best for your boy.
smile

TotalChaos Sun 05-Jul-09 20:21:02

It's very very sensible. DS's nursery/school has us fill out a detailed questionnaire about likes/dislikes, abilities etc about each child (so for those who are NT as well as SN) as a matter of routine every year.

vjg13 Sun 05-Jul-09 20:51:57

Cerebra can also help you prepare a personal portfolio on similar lines.

Frasersmum123 Sun 05-Jul-09 21:36:38

Thanks again everyone

Moondog - that link is fab, thank you

TallulahToo Sun 05-Jul-09 21:36:39

Just to add to anonandilikeit's post, the Early Support pack wasn't around for us when my DS got his DX but I managed to get one on-line last year along with loads of other stuff which may be useful to SN mums.

Before this, we did a scrapbook "All About Me" for him which includes photo's and drawings. It's something we update every year or two and he loves to show it to people in school. He adds what he likes and is very proud of it. It shows him how he has progressed or helps him to make sense of his own path of development. The school seemed to like it too.

Frasersmum123 Sun 05-Jul-09 22:10:49

Gosh its so depressing

Sidge Sun 05-Jul-09 22:21:53

It's a great idea! I did a document called "All About Me" for when DD2 started nursery and it has followed her into school. Her nursery staff and then school were so impressed with it they asked if they could use it as a training tool and an example for other parents <preen> grin

I kept it fairly simple and wrote it based on DD2s point of view. I included boring stuff like doctors, emergency contacts etc as then it's all in one place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now