Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do you say Aspergers with hard or soft G

(10 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Sun 05-Jul-09 09:41:12

I have always said it with a soft g but reading the Tony Attwood book and have learnt it is supposed to be a hard g as in get. Am going to try to retrain myself. How do you all say it? My Mom says it with a hard g but she is in America and I assumed it was just a cultural difference but now I know its because of the Asperger who "discovered" it and that is how he pronounced it.

Seuss Sun 05-Jul-09 09:46:23

I've been using soft g too - tbh I hadn't really thought about it. I will try and remember from now on though.

sarah293 Sun 05-Jul-09 09:46:52

Message withdrawn

hereidrawtheline Sun 05-Jul-09 09:48:58

yes I always thought it was soft g. but it isnt Hans Asperger was said with a hard G. In America and Australia they say hard G but I didnt think there was anything in it as so many words are pronounced differently. It doesnt really matter just to think about.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Sun 05-Jul-09 10:22:53

It's supposed to be a hard G I think but has become soft in the UK with use

I've found if I say hard G here people ask what syndrome I mean (!) so retreated back to soft (also ds1 gets called ass-burger and ass-burglar and soft sounds less like it IYSWIM)

5inthebed Sun 05-Jul-09 11:24:11

Is the soft G as in burger or verge blush

Goblinchild Sun 05-Jul-09 11:26:27

Soft g sounds like a j
So, as in verge.
I use the soft g, as have the professionals I've come into contact with,but I think either is accepted.

5inthebed Sun 05-Jul-09 11:32:49

Oh, then I use the soft G smile

troutpout Sun 05-Jul-09 12:27:54

in use the soft
...i know its supposed to be hard..but i would say about it's about 50/50 what people use.
don't like the way it sounds like ass burger either

Marne Sun 05-Jul-09 17:42:56

I use a soft 'r' but have herd a lot of people use a hard 'g' including professionals, i hate it when people say Ass-burgers (it sounds a little rude smile ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now