Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

anyone know about cp??

(16 Posts)
lucymum2four Sat 04-Jul-09 22:16:53

Hi,
wonderd if anyone could help my DD is 17months she has been refered to hospital for developmental delay and also squints in both eyes. shes not yet standin,walking or crawling although she does bum shuffle and can say around 5 or 6 words. if i try to lift her to stand she doesnt bear weight on her legs and her left foot turns inshe was also late to sit just before her first birthday. had an op for pyloric stenosis at 4 wks and whilst in hosp a dr mentioned in passing that she doesnt use her left side as much? after gooleing symptons kept coming accross cerebral palsy. do these symptoms sound fermiller to anyone? thanks for reading Guys.

sarah293 Sun 05-Jul-09 09:49:22

Message withdrawn

PheasantPlucker Sun 05-Jul-09 12:58:34

My dd1 had an early diagnosis og hemiplegia - CP affecting her left side due to brain injury mainly in the right side of her brain. dd1 had a left sided squint, which has been corrected with surgery.

How soon is the hospital appt?

sarah293 Sun 05-Jul-09 14:32:35

Message withdrawn

mumgoingcrazy Sun 05-Jul-09 20:12:00

Apart from the pyloric stenosis at 4 weeks you could have been talking about my DD2. Identical at 17 months (now just 2yrs). We've just had an MRI and are waiting to talk to someone about it but we're expecting a cp dx I think.

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 22:48:06

thanks guys have hosp 15th august, she had pretty straight forward delivery. but when she had the op for the pyloric stenosis she had a bad urine infection.. read somewhere before that a mothers urine infection could be possible cause for cp. is it possibilty babys infection could cause it?/

laumiere Sun 05-Jul-09 23:26:20

Sounds similar to my DS, he was diagnosed with diplegic CP at 19mo. You can get a referral from the GP.

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 23:29:33

thanks laumiere, gp has referred, we have the appointment 15th august. how long do you have to wait for diagnosis? not wishing anything on DD but rather know than keep wracking my brains. hows your DS doing?

HairyMaclary Mon 06-Jul-09 08:10:11

My DS has CP also, but he was very prem, you are unlikely to get a firm diagnosis until after an MRI although that is not always the case. We knew there was damage from his first ultrasound of the brain at 5 days old so had a working diagnosis of CP from about then, only confirmed after an MRI at 1 year old.

I hope your referral is ok, even with no diagnosis your DD would benefit from physiotherapy and Occupational therapy, possibly speech therapy also. Make sure you ask for these when you see the paed if they are not mentioned, as there can be a waiting list.

sarah293 Mon 06-Jul-09 08:18:05

Message withdrawn

madwomanintheattic Mon 06-Jul-09 09:15:50

she sounds lovely!
dd2 has cp (originally dx spastic quad, now athetoid) and has one side stronger than the other (she did not start using her right side functionally until later) she also has an alternating converging squint and has worn glasses since tiny (she is 5 now). she was born term but was v poorly and so has had therapies various since birth. we were originally told that the squint had nothing to do with her other issues btw - i didn't believe it then and no-one else does now grin
the fact that your dd has some speech and some functional movement is brilliant, whether she has cp or not, and it is likely that she will continue to develop, even if it is a little slower than her peers.
dd2 did not have any speech until much later and we were told she was unlikely to to be verbal. she had a standing frame and then a walking frame, and now walks and talks and goes to mainstream school with a little help. all kids with cp are totally different and i have learnt it is impossible to foresse the future (even for the doctors lol) and your dd may have a completely different developmental path to anything discussed on tinternet!
mri's are a useful diagnostic tool, but again, can't be relied upon to predict ability.
hopefully your appointment with the paed will answer a lot of questions - i imagine that you will get a referral for physio, and a call-back to see how she doing tbh. it can take some time before docs are willing to change a 'developmental delay' dx for a cp one...

laumiere Mon 06-Jul-09 15:37:02

OP, DS1 was diagnosed at the assessment, we've never had an MRI. He started walking at 3 and is starting to talk now. He attends a 50/50 SN/mainstream nursery and is very happy. His weakness is mostly in his legs but he's a very sweet boy and adores his baby brother. We get disability living allowance and mobility allowance for him, and attend physio, orthotics (feet) and speech therapy appointments.

lucymum2four Mon 06-Jul-09 16:10:34

Thanks guys guess its just a waiting game. Have to see what DR says.. xx

sarah293 Tue 07-Jul-09 08:46:50

Message withdrawn

laumiere Tue 07-Jul-09 18:23:53

lucymum The most important thing is not to compare your DD against other kids of the same age, it'll make you feel worse and it's not fair on your DD!

I found it really helpful to write down every little thing DS did (like say 'monkey' one day), it's really useful to show HCPs and makes you feel good when you read it on those bad days.

lucymum2four Tue 07-Jul-09 19:58:11

yeah thanks i try not too compare, she has two cousins same age but even though they can stand,walk ect.. my dd talks way more than them both. it doesnt matter to me either way. Just glad i have her. Its more a case of wanting to know if it is something she will need help with. thanks for answering guys means alot to me. DH never really takes my concerns seriously. deep down he knows just doesnt want to admit something is'nt right. (I Think)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now