Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How much 1:1 time does your SN child get at nursery?

(12 Posts)
Marne Fri 03-Jul-09 20:21:43

We have managed to get funding for dd2 to have a 1:1 for 3 hours a week from September but i'm not sure if i should be pleased or if i should push for more, she goes for 3 mornings a week and will get a 1:1 for an hour each morning. Is this enough? How much do your LO's get?

daisy5678 Fri 03-Jul-09 20:32:45

J got nothing officially (though they effectively had to give him 1:1 anyway due to dangerous behaviour) though he did then get 23 hours a week of 1:1 at school.

moondog Fri 03-Jul-09 20:33:48

The amount means nothing.
What is crucial is how able and well trained the person in question is.

lou031205 Fri 03-Jul-09 21:47:30

DD1 gets full 1:1, so 12.5 hrs per week, but funding only covers 7.5 hrs. Pre-school top-up because she is unsafe without the full coverage.

HairyMaclary Fri 03-Jul-09 22:03:26

DS gets full time 1:1. 5 sessions of up to 3 hours each. It's fully funded by the LEA and nursery pay no top up. I agree it's important to get the right person though, try to get 'a xxx trained person' written on the statement. It means that if you find the right person who is not trained you can get them trained!

lou031205 Fri 03-Jul-09 22:12:25

DD's funding comes via Children's Services, she doesn't yet have a statement, but is on Early Years Action+.

5inthebed Fri 03-Jul-09 22:15:06

DS2 gets full 1-2-1 at his MS nursery. It isn't funded, it is what the school decided to allow when he started there (probably because I took the SENCO to the board about her negative behaviour). She will also be his 1-2-1 when he starts reception in Septeber, hopefully for the full 30 hours hmm

Is she going to MS nursery Marne? You might find the school gives her more than she has been statemented for, depending on her needs.

meltedmarsbars Fri 03-Jul-09 22:31:35

DD2 got 1:1 at pre-school, the PA was recruited for her specifically (and is still with her in mainstream 4 years later lol!).
Agree with Moondog about the persons ability and training: a good 1:1 can also include other children into a group activity if that is appropriate too.
DD2 still gets 1:1 at ms school (actually 2:1 most of the time) due to personal and social needs and IEP activities.

Marne Sat 04-Jul-09 17:35:11

Thank you for your replies. 5inthebed- she goes to main stream for 2 mornings (3 from september) and SN nursery for 2 mornings, she doesn't need a 1:1 at the SN nursery as their child/staff ratio is is high. She has a key worker at MS which spends a lot of time with her but this means other children are missing out on the key worker, portage have adviced a 1:1 for dd2 mainly to help her to learn to communicate and play with other children and to prepare her for MS school in a years time.

She has no behaviour problems and is not at risk to other children but could be a risk top herself.

5inthebed Sat 04-Jul-09 22:27:03

Marne, DS2 has 1-2-1 because of the same reason. He isn't violent towards other kids, but will try and escape if your back is turned for a split second. The school decided to appoint someone as his 1-2-1, even though he hasn't been statemented ad it isn't funded. His 1-2-1 does work at the school, but was "appointed" by the SENCO to stay with ds2 for all 4 of his sessions.

I hope the school your DD is going to feels the same.

jasdox Sat 04-Jul-09 23:22:24

just applied for 1:1, an hour a day for 3 days of the week, i assumed it would be enough, after seeing the results of portage, 1h fortnightly. However, portage are v. well trained, and i think in the nursery, it will be one of the staff, they are lovely and ds thinks there great, but am concerned as they are not trained, and will he benefit from this! with no sn training, i wonder what will they do in that time. and will he regress without the positive support his had so far.

Arabica Sun 05-Jul-09 18:37:06

Hi, DD gets full one to one support at her current nursery. She has had a statement since she was 2 and she is now nearly 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now