Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ok you people who know about autism and meltdowns....help dd just went

(6 Posts)
2shoes Thu 02-Jul-09 18:43:58

mad, I was trying to clean her teeth, she flipped, screaming and thrashing about.
(she has cp)
after much debate I discovered she has a sore mouth on one side(probally tooth comming through, although she is 14 she still has some baby teeth)
I gave up in the end..
but what do I do tommorow?

silverfrog Thu 02-Jul-09 18:47:35

how good is her reasoning?

can you tell her you will be really gentle, but that ti needs doing or else it willbe even more sore?

is she able to rinse/spit? if so, I recently had a gruesome tooth operation, and couldn't brush (on orders of dentist) the area for 2 weeks. he was happy with that, as long as I rinsed well with mouthwash - would this be an option?

troutpout Thu 02-Jul-09 18:52:07

mmm not sure
Poor thing...it's amazing how much a sore mouth really hurts isn't it?

Leave it untill her mouth stops being sore?

Numb her mouth before brushing with a bit of bonjela or something?

Or just put a bit of toothpaste in without brushing it around and hope that it's a least a nod in the right direction untill her mouth eases up?

staryeyed Thu 02-Jul-09 20:10:10

One thing I would say is never force it or it will descend into a downward spiral with every time getting worse. But then Ds1 (4)Has not had his teeth properly brushed since he was 2, so what do I know.

TotalChaos Thu 02-Jul-09 20:12:22

tell her you will avoid brushing the non sore bit for the moment? or try using some bonjela type stuff? or failing that plain bribery?

2shoes Thu 02-Jul-09 22:15:27

thanks I tried reasoning with her......but she just went bananas
I will try these things tomorow, normally if I say ok, let your teeth rot and fall out and put the brush down, she will then want me to do it, but not today...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now